Old 29-06-2009, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Three sisters garden, week 9

On 28 Jun 2009 18:39:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

My three sisters garden is coming along. The corn is doing well, the
beans have been eaten by insects, and I have a few melon and squash
plants. I've started to spray the garden with a mixture of Ivory Liquid
and corn oil, we'll see if that helps.

Here is a link to pictures of the garden,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink

Don't you have to protect your blueberries from the critters, too?

This is the first year in a long time that *we* have actually enjoyed
our blueberries rather than provide them to the local fauna food
pantry.

We built a full enclosure around and over the bushes. Just angle iron
and netting. Worked like a charm, although I have to say that we get
birds, groundhogs, squirrels, raccoons, etc, and no deer in the
backyard (back is fenced well), although a similar structure around
the tulip beds up front did keep the deer from eating them.

We do get bears around here, though, and I assume none were attracted
to the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling
on a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the
tomato plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron