Old 29-06-2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Horticultural Myths, Dr. L. Chalker-Scott

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

..
Gunner wrote: BTW, 100lbs of 10-10-10 will yield 10 lbs of N, ~4.4 lbs of
P and ~8.3 lbs
of K.
P and K are not elemental in fert labeling, you need to use the atomic
weights.

Billy tapdanced with: "Considering the atmosphere is about 78% N2, and
elemental phosphorus and
potassium can be exciting stuff, I wasn't trying to be analytical here.
As I'm sure you are aware that agricultural nitrogen comes in the salt
forms of NH3 and NO3 but the percentage on the container is only for the
elemental nitrogen, not that of the compound, but strangely enough the
next two numbers are for the compounds and not the elements. To follow
along you must know that the atomic weight (at.wt.) of phosphorus is
approximately 31, and oxygen is 16. Phosphorus comes as P2O5 ([31 X
2]+[16 X 5]= at. wt. 142 for the compound, but the percentage of
phosphorus is P/P2O5 = 62/142 =.44) and the actual percentage of
elemental phosphorus is 44% of the percentage listed. Potassium comes as
K2O and the percentage of elemental potassium is 83% of the percentage
listed, or K = 39 (atomic weight) and O = 16, so K2O = 94, and %K =
K/K2O = 78/94 = .83 --- 83%.

Bottom line is that in a 100 lb. bag of 10 - 10 - 10, 10 lbs will be N
(as NH3 or NO3), 10 lb. of P2O5 = 4.4 lb. P, and 10 lb. of K2O = 8.3 lb.
of K.

Anybody still awake?

And that's why I said it the way I did.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertilizer for further confusion.

Are you confused as to what you actually said? Here is your cut and pasteed
comment to Florabloom:

"If you buy a HUNDRED POUND BAG of 10 - 10 - 10 chemical fertilizer, it
will contain 10 lbs of nitrogen (ammonia or nitrate), 10 lbs of
phosphorous, and 10 lbs of potassium. A similar bag of 1-1-1, would
yield a pound of each/bag."

Changing stories again? Not quite accurate is it nor what you now say. the
same for your comment on "chemferts kill micro organisms the inferences
causing nitrates in water harming babies.
You BS ........alot and as we saw with Florabloom you attack when you lose.