Old 29-06-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Three sisters garden, week 9

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:35:51 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On 29 Jun 2009 16:51:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling on
a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the tomato
plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron

I've been using coyote and fox urine this year. I usually have a
groundhog problem but I haven't seen any since I started using the urine.
This isn't proof that it works, it's possible that the groundhog was
eaten by an actual coyote, they have become much more plentiful in recent
years.

I hope your solution is working. My groundhogs only show up when there
is enough in the garden to make their foraging worthwhile. They are
similar to the story that used to be told about raccoons and crops.

Q:.When is corn ready to pick?
A: One day before the raccoons think it is.

Boron

The groundhogs left the area when my dog showed up. Possums too. Never
saw 1 deer when we spent the summer in VT, but we did see a black
bear.

Dogs are great. (Yet I miss the wildlife.)

Kate