Old 29-06-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default phosphorus supplement

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Greg" wrote in message
|I have used 15-15-15 fertlizer for my hydroponic tomatoes. The plants
| rooted very well and also the foliage is very strong green. But it
| does not seems like there a lot of flowers coming up. I beleive I
| should put something that contains more Phosporous. (second ingredient
| in fertilizer ).
| Does anybody knows what is a good supplement of just the phosporus?

Why not just use tomorite?

..... or sulphate of potash (which is cheaper, if you've got big crops). It
is potash (potassium) that your plants need now. Phosphorous encourages
good roots and was appropriate when your plants were establishing root
growth.

Most fertilizers are sold as N-P-K, or
Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium(Potash).
Nitrogen encourages stem and leaf growth;
Phosphorous encourages root growth;
Potassium (Potash) ripens the growth and encourages flowers and fruit.

When you buy your high potash feed (example: Tomerite), the K ingredient
should have a higher number than the N or P.

Do not over-feed. A family member very nearly lost a crop due to his
'generosity' :~).

Spider