Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C Uncle-C is offline

Default Sowing vegetable seeds now for autumn harvest ?

Hi folks !
I have a shaded spot at the back of my garden which I use for growing
spinach and potatoes. Just today I harvested a generous crop of
spinach but was wondering that we are still starting July and I would
like to grow some other vegetables for harvest in say early autumn.
Obviously a significant amount of the nutrients in the soil would
have been used up so I may have to condition the soil with some juicy
compost. Any recommendations on what would be good to sow now and also
what would be the best method to "re-energise" the plot after the
spinach harvest ? Does spinach devoid the soil of any essential
elements / minerals ?
I would like to reiterate the fact the the vegetable plot is in a
shaded area and only gets direct sunlight in mid morning for one or
two hours.

Cheers,
uc