Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Sowing vegetable seeds now for autumn harvest ?

"Uncle-C" wrote
I have a shaded spot at the back of my garden which I use for growing
spinach and potatoes. Just today I harvested a generous crop of
spinach but was wondering that we are still starting July and I would
like to grow some other vegetables for harvest in say early autumn.
Obviously a significant amount of the nutrients in the soil would
have been used up so I may have to condition the soil with some juicy
compost. Any recommendations on what would be good to sow now and also
what would be the best method to "re-energise" the plot after the
spinach harvest ? Does spinach devoid the soil of any essential
elements / minerals ?
I would like to reiterate the fact the the vegetable plot is in a
shaded area and only gets direct sunlight in mid morning for one or
two hours.

Strange as it might sound early peas. Something like "Early Onward" but you
will need to keep them well watered if this dry hot weather persists.
ps. They are only "early" because they grow quickly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden