Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al[_4_] View Post
Uh oh ...

Just found a couple of what look like Destroying Angel mushrooms in the
wooded part of our garden. I am complete rubbish at identifying mushrooms
and fungi, but I reckon these might be the real thing.

My question: What do I do with/to them? (Giving them to the mother-in-law
has already been considered - The wife vetoed the idea though). Leave them?
I was utterly delighted when Amanita echinocephala grew in my parents' garden. That one is so rare it is not even known if it is poisonous. Unfortunately it only ever appeared twice. Also delighted once to find an even rarer albino death cap.

Leave them. They are rare and you are lucky, in one sense, to have them, if you have any delight in rare wildlife. I've never seen one. Many rare fungi are legally protected. There are many very poisonous plants grown in gardens - ricinus is popular even in municipal plantings - and there are some other some very poisonous fungi that are much more common. And very few people wander around trying to eat unidentified fungi in this country anyway. So why worry?