Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Destroying Angel

Uh oh ...

Just found a couple of what look like Destroying Angel mushrooms in the
wooded part of our garden. I am complete rubbish at identifying mushrooms
and fungi, but I reckon these might be the real thing.

My question: What do I do with/to them? (Giving them to the mother-in-law
has already been considered - The wife vetoed the idea though). Leave them?
Carefully remove/burn/bury them?

No kids around, wildlife mainly birds and foxes, no pets.

They'll probably turn out to be somthing safe, but just askin' in case

Al.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Al wrote:
No kids around, wildlife mainly birds and foxes, no pets.

I'd just leave them to do their thing. We get all manner of mushrooms
and toadstools come up around our garden including fly agaric. Many wild
plants are poisonous if eaten but since you have no kids or pets around
then leave them. Our garden has lots of self set fox gloves (which look
lovely) and other poisonous plants but there is no need to become
neurotic removing plants that could potentially poison someone.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
Uh oh ...

Just found a couple of what look like Destroying Angel mushrooms in the
wooded part of our garden. I am complete rubbish at identifying mushrooms
and fungi, but I reckon these might be the real thing.

My question: What do I do with/to them? (Giving them to the mother-in-law
has already been considered - The wife vetoed the idea though). Leave
them?
Carefully remove/burn/bury them?

No kids around, wildlife mainly birds and foxes, no pets.

They'll probably turn out to be somthing safe, but just askin' in case

Al.

If it were me, and I was worried about something that poisonous, I'd ring my
local authority, as a starting point, and ask for advice.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
Al wrote:
No kids around, wildlife mainly birds and foxes, no pets.

Sorry to follow up to my own post, but does anyone know if laurel
berries are poisonous? We've a mature laurel hedge which has lots of
black berries on in the autumn and our black labrador finds them quite
tasty and scoffs any wind-falls. Personally I'd have thought they were
poisonous but the dog doesn't seem to have suffered from eating them.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
Al wrote:
No kids around, wildlife mainly birds and foxes, no pets.

Sorry to follow up to my own post, but does anyone know if laurel berries
are poisonous? We've a mature laurel hedge which has lots of black berries
on in the autumn and our black labrador finds them quite tasty and scoffs
any wind-falls. Personally I'd have thought they were poisonous but the
dog doesn't seem to have suffered from eating them.

Yes, they are poisonous. Well, that's my understanding. As a child, the big
danger plants I was told to avoid were laburnum, laurel, deadly nightshade,
yew.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al[_4_] View Post
Uh oh ...

Just found a couple of what look like Destroying Angel mushrooms in the
wooded part of our garden. I am complete rubbish at identifying mushrooms
and fungi, but I reckon these might be the real thing.

My question: What do I do with/to them? (Giving them to the mother-in-law
has already been considered - The wife vetoed the idea though). Leave them?
I was utterly delighted when Amanita echinocephala grew in my parents' garden. That one is so rare it is not even known if it is poisonous. Unfortunately it only ever appeared twice. Also delighted once to find an even rarer albino death cap.

Leave them. They are rare and you are lucky, in one sense, to have them, if you have any delight in rare wildlife. I've never seen one. Many rare fungi are legally protected. There are many very poisonous plants grown in gardens - ricinus is popular even in municipal plantings - and there are some other some very poisonous fungi that are much more common. And very few people wander around trying to eat unidentified fungi in this country anyway. So why worry?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post

Quite agree with you places like the New Forest are littered with poisonous fungi so don't worry about them in your garden. A good site for identification of fungi is: http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 July, 19:29, Al wrote:
Uh oh ...

Just found a couple of what look like Destroying Angel mushrooms in the
wooded part of our garden. I am complete rubbish at identifying mushrooms
and fungi, but I reckon these might be the real thing.

Doubt it. Far too early for those, and they are rare.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Doubt it. Far too early for those, and they are rare.

You're right. Now it's fully grown it's clearly something different

Like I said, I'm rubbish at identifying mushrooms

Al.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Al wrote:
Doubt it. Far too early for those, and they are rare.

You're right. Now it's fully grown it's clearly something different

Like I said, I'm rubbish at identifying mushrooms

Waves to Urglers...

Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger Phillips
is usually recommended - over 1,000 colour pics.

A. virosa is generally nicely-proportioned and deathly white all over.

--
Rusty

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-06 17:41:11 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:

Al wrote:
Doubt it. Far too early for those, and they are rare.

You're right. Now it's fully grown it's clearly something different

Like I said, I'm rubbish at identifying mushrooms

Waves to Urglers...

Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger Phillips
is usually recommended - over 1,000 colour pics.

A. virosa is generally nicely-proportioned and deathly white all over.

No mushrooms here but nice to see you Rusty!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com