Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Tomato concern

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

I decided to start a small garden in the front yard (suffering odd
looks from the neighbors). It's a great sunny location, the back is so
shady as to be unacceptable.

Anyway, I have five tomato plants, all Big Boys. Four are the typical
small four-packs, the other was in a six-inch pot. I got a bit of late
start, the plants went in the Memorial Day weekend. The plants are
growing very well, they're large and healthy-looking. We've had
unusually warm weather here in St. Louis during June. I've been keeping
everything well watered.

The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and that's
the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch) that I think
were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on it or the others.

Chile plants (poblano) I put in at the same time have lots of
developing fruit.

Am I overly concerned at this point, or is something wrong? If so, what
should I look for? Plan of action?

Brian

Your lookin' good Brian. Most people get antsy, watching their plants,
and wantin' to get out an push.

Typically, it takes 75 to 90 days for Big Boys to produce ready to eat
fruit from transplants, so you have some waiting to do. Doing it on my
fingers, it looks like mid-August. The other wrinkle is that it won't
set fruit when the temps are lower than 55F or above 85F.

Follow Suzanne's suggestions and all should be well ;O)
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn