Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Tomato concern

I decided to start a small garden in the front yard (suffering odd
looks from the neighbors). It's a great sunny location, the back is so
shady as to be unacceptable.

Anyway, I have five tomato plants, all Big Boys. Four are the typical
small four-packs, the other was in a six-inch pot. I got a bit of late
start, the plants went in the Memorial Day weekend. The plants are
growing very well, they're large and healthy-looking. We've had
unusually warm weather here in St. Louis during June. I've been keeping
everything well watered.

The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and that's
the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch) that I think
were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on it or the others.

Chile plants (poblano) I put in at the same time have lots of
developing fruit.

Am I overly concerned at this point, or is something wrong? If so, what
should I look for? Plan of action?

Brian

--
Day 151 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Default User" wrote in message
The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and that's
the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch) that I think
were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on it or the others.

There could be two things wrong:

1. They may not be getting pollinated. Tomatoes are self-pollinating and
like a bit of wind to loosen the pollen inside the flowers. Gently shake
the tomato cages every day.

2. It might be too hot. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit if it is over 95
degrees F. Try misting them every day with the hose. I do this in my
over-100 climate, and have had wonderful fruit set.

Hope one or both of these helps!
--S.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Suzanne D. wrote:

"Default User" wrote in message
The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and
that's the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch)
that I think were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on
it or the others.

There could be two things wrong:

1. They may not be getting pollinated. Tomatoes are self-pollinating
and like a bit of wind to loosen the pollen inside the flowers.
Gently shake the tomato cages every day.

We've had some decent winds here and there, but I can do that.

2. It might be too hot. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit if it is
over 95 degrees F. Try misting them every day with the hose. I do
this in my over-100 climate, and have had wonderful fruit set.

The hot spell's over, and we're in the 80s for highs of late, so
perhaps if that's the trouble they'll get going. I'll keep that in mind
for the next batch of heat.

Thanks.

--
Day 151 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default User wrote:
Suzanne D. wrote:

[...]

Or you may have over-fertilized with a nitrogen fertilizer
which gives you lots of healthy leaves, but little fruit.

gloria p
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

[...]

Your lookin' good Brian. Most people get antsy, watching their plants,
and wantin' to get out an push.

Typically, it takes 75 to 90 days for Big Boys to produce ready to eat
fruit from transplants, so you have some waiting to do. Doing it on my
fingers, it looks like mid-August. The other wrinkle is that it won't
set fruit when the temps are lower than 55F or above 85F.

Follow Suzanne's suggestions and all should be well ;O)
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Suzanne D. wrote:
"Default User" wrote in message
The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and that's
the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch) that I
think were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on it or
the others.

There could be two things wrong:

1. They may not be getting pollinated. Tomatoes are self-pollinating
and like a bit of wind to loosen the pollen inside the flowers.
Gently shake the tomato cages every day.

2. It might be too hot. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit if it is
over 95 degrees F. Try misting them every day with the hose.

At the risk of encouraging fungus

I do
this in my over-100 climate, and have had wonderful fruit set.

Hope one or both of these helps!
--S.

David
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and
that's the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch)
that I think were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on
it or the others.

Your lookin' good Brian. Most people get antsy, watching their
plants, and wantin' to get out an push.

Yeah, just a bit concerned.

Typically, it takes 75 to 90 days for Big Boys to produce ready to
eat fruit from transplants, so you have some waiting to do. Doing it
on my fingers, it looks like mid-August. The other wrinkle is that it
won't set fruit when the temps are lower than 55F or above 85F.

It sounds like the unseasonable hot spell was to blame. We had a
stretch of 90+ highs, including 99 last Saturday. Things have moderated
and we're getting more typical temps.

I'll keep an eyeball on them and make sure they're watered.

Thanks.

Brian

--
Day 151 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Gloria P wrote:

Or you may have over-fertilized with a nitrogen fertilizer
which gives you lots of healthy leaves, but little fruit.

I haven't been fertilizing them much, a few shots of Miracle-Gro when
they were first planted. I'm guessing that hot spell was a factor.

Brian

--
Day 151 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 07-07-2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

1. They may not be getting pollinated. Tomatoes are self-pollinating
and like a bit of wind to loosen the pollen inside the flowers.
Gently shake the tomato cages every day.

We've had some decent winds here and there, but I can do that.

2. It might be too hot. Tomatoes don't like to set fruit if it is
over 95 degrees F. Try misting them every day with the hose. I do
this in my over-100 climate, and have had wonderful fruit set.

The hot spell's over, and we're in the 80s for highs of late, so
perhaps if that's the trouble they'll get going. I'll keep that in mind
for the next batch of heat.

Or you may have over-fertilized with a nitrogen fertilizer
which gives you lots of healthy leaves, but little fruit.

gloria

What is the best fertilizer for tomatoes?

I've got 4 tomato plants started from seedlings growing in 5 gallon pails
I've been using Miracle-Gro every two weeks. Should I be using something
different? How often?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

[...]

You've gotten past the growth stage of the tomato, so now you should cut
back on the nitrogen. Chemical fertilizers like Miracle Grow (18-21-21)
are water soluble, are quickly washed away with watering, and are so
strong as to make burning your roots easy. Organic fertilizers, on the
other hand, adhere to the soil and breakdown slowly to give continuous
feeding to plants. I would recommend any organic 0-10-10 fertilizer, in
conjunction with fish emulsion (5-1-1) feedings.

If you continue to use Miracle Grow, even if it is out of balance with
your plant's present needs, use it at 1/2 to 1/4 strength, and feed
weekly.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

[...]

Billy,
I'll discontinue the Miracle Grow and pick up some organic fertilizer and
fish emulsion. Would you recommend applying these weekly as well?

My first shot at growing veggies. Seem to be going pretty well so far.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

[...]

Here is a site that may help.

http://modernmitzvot.wordpress.com/2...ency-sundays-k
eep-your-soil-healthy/

Healthy soil still working on it sometimes just watching. Fun!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

[...]

No, the organics won't be washed away by the water, and you'll get a
constant feeding of your plants and the organic material decomposes.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and that's
the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch) that I
think were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on it or the
others.

I know you've all been extremely worried about what's been happening
with my tomatoes. Just to ease your minds and make for restful sleep,
it looks as though the cooler spell we had has done the trick. There
are number tiny fruits going now. It'll be while, but looks good.

Seriously, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Brian

--
Day 158 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 23-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Default User View Post
[...]

Hi,
http://Garden-Planters.com