Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Default User Default User is offline

Default Tomato concern

Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

The tomatoes are putting out lots of blossoms, and there are bees
buzzing around. However, only one plant has any fruit set, and
that's the older one, which has two moderate sized one (2-3 inch)
that I think were set before I even got the plant. Nothing else on
it or the others.

Your lookin' good Brian. Most people get antsy, watching their
plants, and wantin' to get out an push.

Yeah, just a bit concerned.

Typically, it takes 75 to 90 days for Big Boys to produce ready to
eat fruit from transplants, so you have some waiting to do. Doing it
on my fingers, it looks like mid-August. The other wrinkle is that it
won't set fruit when the temps are lower than 55F or above 85F.

It sounds like the unseasonable hot spell was to blame. We had a
stretch of 90+ highs, including 99 last Saturday. Things have moderated
and we're getting more typical temps.

I'll keep an eyeball on them and make sure they're watered.

Thanks.

Brian

--
Day 151 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project