Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Next Winter

On Jul 4, 4:52*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:

The ten day forecast is a mouse click away for me and frankly it is
rubbish. Today's weather is sometimes wrong, tomorrows weather is pot
luck and as for the other 8 days they are pure fiction.

Back to old couintry lore. Great Uncle Victor, when asked what the
weather was going to do, said,"Look out the window, boy." Of course he
didn't believe in long range forecasts!

In fact they had a mass of sayings about the weather (my mother always
seemed to have a new one when required) .They were fairly accurate in
a general way but rarely specific. Old Victor used to tell me to look
at the berry crops as a sign of what the oncoming winter would be,
believing that nature provided for the wildlife when times were going
to be hard.... but this does not seem to have held true in recent
years. Perhaps I just live in an unnaturally sheltered spot!