Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Next Winter

Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

--
..

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

I don't believe in the next day forecast, never mind long term ones.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

I don't believe in the next day forecast, never mind long term ones.

A normal winter, one day cold and wet the next day sunny and dry!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

I always liked this answer to weather problems...

It was autumn, and the Red Indians on the reservation asked their New Chief
if the winter was going to be cold or mild.

He was a modern indian chief, sitting in his bungalow with his jeep parked
outside. He realised he couldnt tell the signs like his father and
grandfather did.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the
winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village
should collect wood to be prepared.

But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He
called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going
to be cold?". "It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed,"
the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more
wood. A week later, he called the National Weather Service again.

"Are you certain that it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man from the National Weather Service again replied, "it's
definitely going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every
scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later, he called the National Weather Service again. "Are you
absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man added. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters
ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Red Indians are collecting wood like crazy."

John

Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John T wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

I guessed what the punchline would be, but it still made me smile. :-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

I don't believe in the next day forecast, never mind long term ones.

The ten day forecast is a mouse click away for me and frankly it is
rubbish. Today's weather is sometimes wrong, tomorrows weather is pot
luck and as for the other 8 days they are pure fiction.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 4, 4:52*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:

The ten day forecast is a mouse click away for me and frankly it is
rubbish. Today's weather is sometimes wrong, tomorrows weather is pot
luck and as for the other 8 days they are pure fiction.

Back to old couintry lore. Great Uncle Victor, when asked what the
weather was going to do, said,"Look out the window, boy." Of course he
didn't believe in long range forecasts!

In fact they had a mass of sayings about the weather (my mother always
seemed to have a new one when required) .They were fairly accurate in
a general way but rarely specific. Old Victor used to tell me to look
at the berry crops as a sign of what the oncoming winter would be,
believing that nature provided for the wildlife when times were going
to be hard.... but this does not seem to have held true in recent
years. Perhaps I just live in an unnaturally sheltered spot!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
Old Victor used to tell me to look
at the berry crops as a sign of what the oncoming winter would be,
believing that nature provided for the wildlife when times were going
to be hard.... but this does not seem to have held true in recent
years. Perhaps I just live in an unnaturally sheltered spot!

I hope he's wrong! I've been in the garden picking raspberries and black
currants this afternoon and there is a bumper crop. The cultivated
blackberry (giant berries) will be ripe soon and that looks like it will
have a good yield too. Lots of green plums and peaches in the orchard
this year. A moderate amount of apples but no Bramley apples at all - it
has gone on strike this year.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
moghouse wrote:
Old Victor used to tell me to look
at the berry crops as a sign of what the oncoming winter would be,
believing that nature provided for the wildlife when times were going
to be hard.... but this does not seem to have held true in recent
years. Perhaps I just live in an unnaturally sheltered spot!

I hope he's wrong! I've been in the garden picking raspberries and black
currants this afternoon and there is a bumper crop. The cultivated
blackberry (giant berries) will be ripe soon and that looks like it will
have a good yield too. Lots of green plums and peaches in the orchard this
year. A moderate amount of apples but no Bramley apples at all - it has
gone on strike this year.

--
David in Normandy.

I was hoping that someone had heard that "We are in for a such and such
winter".

I want to make a presentation on Wednesday and a 'certain type of Winter'
will be to my advantage.

;-))

Mike

Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
Any 'forecasts' yet as to what sort of Winter we are in for?

Mike

I don't believe in the next day forecast, never mind long term ones.

But the Met office seem to have got this summer right (so far). Shoot me
down if we get a cold wet August.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 July, 16:50, David in Normandy
wrote:
The weatherman replied, "The Red Indians are collecting wood like crazy."

I guessed what the punchline would be, but it still made me smile. :-)

Brian Johnstone used to commentate on the boat race from a launch some
distance behind the rowers, an awkward spot to see who was in front of
whom. He had noticed that on Barnes Bridge a man used to hoist a
light or dark blue flag to denote the leaders at that point. He
cribbed the intermediate result for his commentary.

Many years later he was introduced at a function to the flag wielder,
and asked where he stood to get such a good view. "Oh I can't see the
river at all" he replied. "How do you know which flag to hoist?" our
hero asked. "I listen to Brian Johnstone on the BBC" he was told.