Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Next Winter

On 4 July, 16:50, David in Normandy
wrote:
The weatherman replied, "The Red Indians are collecting wood like crazy."

I guessed what the punchline would be, but it still made me smile. :-)

Brian Johnstone used to commentate on the boat race from a launch some
distance behind the rowers, an awkward spot to see who was in front of
whom. He had noticed that on Barnes Bridge a man used to hoist a
light or dark blue flag to denote the leaders at that point. He
cribbed the intermediate result for his commentary.

Many years later he was introduced at a function to the flag wielder,
and asked where he stood to get such a good view. "Oh I can't see the
river at all" he replied. "How do you know which flag to hoist?" our
hero asked. "I listen to Brian Johnstone on the BBC" he was told.