Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Cass

Default groundcover for rose bed?

Jean S. Barto wrote:

Hello folks--

Just wanted to ask about a good and easy care groundcover for my new rose
bed--there are 10 different roses there--all are short varieties--border and
*groundcover* types--and they are planted in the front section of my front
yard, which is sunny all day. Although it's been wet this Spring, it tends
to get dry here in July and August, and so whatever goes there will need to
tolerate some dryness and heat--although I *will* be pampering my roses, no
matter the water restrictions!

The bed just seems so bare now--just the roses (which have started to sprout
little shoots the last few days) and the mulch--I think some nice short
groundcover plants would really make it look nice!

Ohhhh, Jean, we all start down that slippery slope and some of us live
to regret it. The roses look so small and vulnerable that we crowd them
to fill up the space. Watch out! Or you could be like me, victim no.
798,434,301 to the Siren song of bare ground. My suggestion for
companions is non-invasive, clumping perennials. I admit I love the
look of hardy geraniums and grow about 4 varieties myself. One of them,
however, is spreading all over the garden, not in a bad way *yet*, but
still spreading. So beware which geranium you plant. It happens to be a
lavender-blue, just what we all want. So caution.

Of the easy-going clumpers, I like heuchera, and there are all kinds,
with interesting foliage and good manners. I also like scabiosa, all
kinds. Creeping thyme smells good when you step on it and pulls out
easily. Frankly, I haven't a clue whether any of these will work in
your zone.