Old 15-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Jean S. Barto

Default groundcover for rose bed?

Hello folks--

Just wanted to ask about a good and easy care groundcover for my new rose
bed--there are 10 different roses there--all are short varieties--border and
*groundcover* types--and they are planted in the front section of my front
yard, which is sunny all day. Although it's been wet this Spring, it tends
to get dry here in July and August, and so whatever goes there will need to
tolerate some dryness and heat--although I *will* be pampering my roses, no
matter the water restrictions!

The bed just seems so bare now--just the roses (which have started to sprout
little shoots the last few days) and the mulch--I think some nice short
groundcover plants would really make it look nice!

I will probably order whatever you suggest from Bluestone Perennials--my
first order from them came last week, and I'm very pleased with what they
sent--and so I'll order from them again. I go through serious *brain
fog/sensory overload* when going to a place like Lowe's (even for plants,
etc), and so I prefer to make most of my gardening purchases through the
internet.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in VA

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

Old 15-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Pam

Jean, the inclination is for most folks to combine roses with lavenders - they
seem to be a natural combination. However, the cultural conditions that roses
like (ample water, fertile soil and regular fertilization) are exactly what
lavender doesn't want. My roses are mixed in with scores of other plants, but if
I were to single them out, I'd underplant with hardy geraniums. They will love
the same conditions, are exceedingly easy to grow and flower in complimentary
colors and over an extended season. There are dozens of varieties. Check out the
"full sun groundcover" thread from Monday - I listed a bunch that will work
great and keep to a manageable height to show off the roses.

Disclaimer: - have no personal interest in pushing hardy geraniums :-)) They
just seem to fit the bill very well for both situations where I suggested them.

pam - gardengal

Old 15-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Psycho Psycho

Pam wrote:
Jean, the inclination is for most folks to combine roses with
lavenders - they seem to be a natural combination. However, the
cultural conditions that roses like (ample water, fertile soil and
regular fertilization) are exactly what lavender doesn't want. My
roses are mixed in with scores of other plants, but if I were to
single them out, I'd underplant with hardy geraniums. They will love
the same conditions, are exceedingly easy to grow and flower in
complimentary colors and over an extended season. There are dozens of
varieties. Check out the "full sun groundcover" thread from Monday -
I listed a bunch that will work great and keep to a manageable height
to show off the roses.

So far I have added Campanulas, moss phloxes, and rock soapwort in my large
rose bed. I still have lots of space to cover and was considering the
lavender, and Russian sage. For taller companions I have started adding
delphiniums and will likely add tall phloxes, and cosmos.

Underlying everything I have a large collection of species and hybrid
tulips, narcissus, hyacinths, grape hyacinth and crocuses. They are all
done blooming before the roses leaf out.

How tall do these geraniums get, and what is the zone range?

Old 15-04-2003, 07:44 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Pam writes:

I were to single them out, I'd underplant with hardy geraniums. They will
love
the same conditions, are exceedingly easy to grow and flower in complimentary
colors and over an extended season. There are dozens of varieties.

That was my recommendation also; hardy geraniums are excellent with roses.

Emilie

Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Cass

Jean S. Barto wrote:

Hello folks--

Just wanted to ask about a good and easy care groundcover for my new rose
bed--there are 10 different roses there--all are short varieties--border and
*groundcover* types--and they are planted in the front section of my front
yard, which is sunny all day. Although it's been wet this Spring, it tends
to get dry here in July and August, and so whatever goes there will need to
tolerate some dryness and heat--although I *will* be pampering my roses, no
matter the water restrictions!

The bed just seems so bare now--just the roses (which have started to sprout
little shoots the last few days) and the mulch--I think some nice short
groundcover plants would really make it look nice!

Ohhhh, Jean, we all start down that slippery slope and some of us live
to regret it. The roses look so small and vulnerable that we crowd them
to fill up the space. Watch out! Or you could be like me, victim no.
798,434,301 to the Siren song of bare ground. My suggestion for
companions is non-invasive, clumping perennials. I admit I love the
look of hardy geraniums and grow about 4 varieties myself. One of them,
however, is spreading all over the garden, not in a bad way *yet*, but
still spreading. So beware which geranium you plant. It happens to be a
lavender-blue, just what we all want. So caution.

Of the easy-going clumpers, I like heuchera, and there are all kinds,
with interesting foliage and good manners. I also like scabiosa, all
kinds. Creeping thyme smells good when you step on it and pulls out
easily. Frankly, I haven't a clue whether any of these will work in
your zone.

Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

I've been planting baby's breath, a clumping perennial. I like ones that
grow in clumps, because they seem to be more "contained," and somewhat more
structured looking. I've had very little luck with lavender, but will try
again this year.

The picture in the J&P catalog of the pink roses in the bed of baby's breath
does it for me...is it Our Lady of Guadelupe, or Tournament of Roses? Either
way, I love the way it looks. I like clumping ones because they tend to
discourage weeds.

I've got some fat buds on the Spring Hill Nurseries minis...one particular
is as big around as a nickel, and is taunting me with its promise.

Also broke down and ordered some WMBD (Weapons of Mass Pest Destruction):
Banner Maxx, Monty's Joy Juice, Indicate, Cygon, a quart of Indicate, as
well as a supply of Milky Spore.

Sprayed with my favorite double-strength fish
emulsion/Mancozeb/Phosphorous/Quick Start concoction...I want to kill any
spores that might try to take advantage of the foliar drenching.

I plan to order Messenger, newly approved for roses, this week, as well.
Chemical and biological warfare can be your friends.

--
Scopata Fuori

Old 16-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Cass

Scopata Fuori wrote:

I plan to order Messenger, newly approved for roses, this week, as well.
Chemical and biological warfare can be your friends.

Would you report on your results with Messenger? Who did you order
from, the manufacturer? I recall being impressed by this substance, but
somebody put the cabash on it, claiming it didn't work very well.
Old 17-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Allegra

"Cass" requested from Scopata

Would you report on your results with Messenger? Who did you order
from, the manufacturer? I recall being impressed by this substance, but
somebody put the cabash on it, claiming it didn't work very well.

I can tell you that all the university's studies have
shown very little effect on powdery mildew for instance.
If you really want to make the fungicide stay and do its job
mix it with Indicate 5 (now apparently called or to be
called Phase 5) and you will see the difference when using
Banner Maxx with it. Maybe they have improved it since
2001 when most of those studies were conducted but I
have not found anything newer since about it.

Allegra