Thread: Atco 4 stroke
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2009
Default Atco 4 stroke

Hello there!

This is my first post on this forum....

I recently pulled an old Atco petrol lawnmower out of my nans garage. It looked tatty but complete so I checked for a spark (cleaned the plug too), oil, threw some petrol in and it sprung into life after a few turns (not bad bearing in mind it would last have been used at least five years ago)

I needed to have it at full throttle to start it with the choke a 1/2 on so I adjusted the idle speed and carb and it now starts really well on 1/2 choke (even in warm weather?) and with it set to the lowest revs which is good! It is quite (ish) apart form some clonking form bits of tinware as some screws are missing.

I would greatly appreciate some help on identifying things about it like what year (or even decade) it hails from, any tips for getting it running perfectly and what it may be worth in it current running and mowing but tatty state?

I will give the carb a clean out and a new gasket etc, check the ignition is functioning okay and hope this makes it run really well! Even in its slightly uneven state it mows well and pulls really hard!

Any ideas on a value?

Any way, some photos and a short video. In the video I adjust the idle speed and get it to a stage that I think is optimal. I am mechanically minded and I am currently restoring a VW Beetle so no need over "dum down" answers by calling a clutch "something that stops the blade"

http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...tos/Lawnmower/

EDIT: The video has not yet loaded onto Youtube so I will post it up in about an hour.....

Thank you for your time!

Will