Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered User

Default Atco 4 stroke

Hello there!

This is my first post on this forum....

I recently pulled an old Atco petrol lawnmower out of my nans garage. It looked tatty but complete so I checked for a spark (cleaned the plug too), oil, threw some petrol in and it sprung into life after a few turns (not bad bearing in mind it would last have been used at least five years ago)

I needed to have it at full throttle to start it with the choke a 1/2 on so I adjusted the idle speed and carb and it now starts really well on 1/2 choke (even in warm weather?) and with it set to the lowest revs which is good! It is quite (ish) apart form some clonking form bits of tinware as some screws are missing.

I would greatly appreciate some help on identifying things about it like what year (or even decade) it hails from, any tips for getting it running perfectly and what it may be worth in it current running and mowing but tatty state?

I will give the carb a clean out and a new gasket etc, check the ignition is functioning okay and hope this makes it run really well! Even in its slightly uneven state it mows well and pulls really hard!

Any ideas on a value?

Any way, some photos and a short video. In the video I adjust the idle speed and get it to a stage that I think is optimal. I am mechanically minded and I am currently restoring a VW Beetle so no need over "dum down" answers by calling a clutch "something that stops the blade"

http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...tos/Lawnmower/

EDIT: The video has not yet loaded onto Youtube so I will post it up in about an hour.....

Thank you for your time!

Will
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfo View Post
[...]

Video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X5gyEBl6e4
Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Hello Will,

What a lovelly find you have there!

ATCO (Webb) Deluxe B14 is I am sure the model you have. Still and good to see the original engine on board too!

Just be carefull with the brass fuel adjusters on the carb as overdoing them up the fine 'needle like end' will snap off in the carb body and they are a real job to get back out.

Same with the float - ensure it is located correctly in the float chamber.

If you have problems with running, check the air filter (if you still have it) is clean (sponge - wash in soapy water, dip in oil and squeeeeeze out the access) check to make sure the airways in the carb body are not blocked too. Only really one way to do that and that is with a compressed air line.

All looks very dry ref: carb linkages, WD40 and some light oil will see to that - wipe off the access though.

Engine oil is 10w40 about 1 litre.

As it has been stood for 5 years greasing the bearings (all round) and lubricating all linkages, chain and final drives may be very beneficial too!

Well worth I feel paying the fee to have this reground and putting it back in to service as buying a quality lawnmower like this today will set you back easily £300+!

Hope this helps,

Dave.
__________________
You may give someone an education, but you cannot give them common sense.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesnapper View Post
[...]

Hello Dave!

Many thanks for such a helpful reply!

Ill have another look over it today and pull the carb apart to give it a clean, im sure it needs it!

Cheers!

Will