Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default groundcover for rose bed?

I've been planting baby's breath, a clumping perennial. I like ones that
grow in clumps, because they seem to be more "contained," and somewhat more
structured looking. I've had very little luck with lavender, but will try
again this year.

The picture in the J&P catalog of the pink roses in the bed of baby's breath
does it for me...is it Our Lady of Guadelupe, or Tournament of Roses? Either
way, I love the way it looks. I like clumping ones because they tend to
discourage weeds.

I've got some fat buds on the Spring Hill Nurseries minis...one particular
is as big around as a nickel, and is taunting me with its promise.

Also broke down and ordered some WMBD (Weapons of Mass Pest Destruction):
Banner Maxx, Monty's Joy Juice, Indicate, Cygon, a quart of Indicate, as
well as a supply of Milky Spore.

Sprayed with my favorite double-strength fish
emulsion/Mancozeb/Phosphorous/Quick Start concoction...I want to kill any
spores that might try to take advantage of the foliar drenching.

I plan to order Messenger, newly approved for roses, this week, as well.
Chemical and biological warfare can be your friends.

--
Scopata Fuori