Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Yews

On 2009-07-07 11:06:45 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Muddymike wrote:
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have dug up
and put into pots in an attempt to grow them into something useful.
None are doing particularly well. Any sugestions on the best growing
medium, feed, positioning etc to help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

I grew some from seed years ago. I was walking through Chatsworth house
gardens and a few fell off a yew tree into my pocket, so I planted them
in pots of garden soil as I remember for a couple of years then planted
them out in the garden. They were s-l-o-w to get going, but after a few
years started to romp away, putting a few inches on each year. Not the
fasted tree to grow from seed.

Isn't it amazing how seeds do that pocket thing? ;-) Thinking of slow
to get going from seed, we have an Atlantic cedar at the bottom of the
garden which is probably over 150 years old. One customer looked at
some of its cones and asked how long it would take to grow to maturity
from seed. I ask him how long he was planning tolive!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com