Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yews

I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have
dug up and put into pots in an attempt to grow them into
something useful. None are doing particularly well. Any
sugestions on the best growing medium, feed, positioning etc to
help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have
dug up and put into pots in an attempt to grow them into
something useful. None are doing particularly well. Any
sugestions on the best growing medium, feed, positioning etc to
help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

I grew some from seed years ago. I was walking through Chatsworth house
gardens and a few fell off a yew tree into my pocket, so I planted them
in pots of garden soil as I remember for a couple of years then planted
them out in the garden. They were s-l-o-w to get going, but after a few
years started to romp away, putting a few inches on each year. Not the
fasted tree to grow from seed.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have dug up and
put into pots in an attempt to grow them into something useful. None are
doing particularly well. Any sugestions on the best growing medium, feed,
positioning etc to help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

and advice on when and how to shape them please.

We have the same, again put into a pot and now about 12 inches high

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 11:06:45 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Muddymike wrote:
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have dug up
and put into pots in an attempt to grow them into something useful.
None are doing particularly well. Any sugestions on the best growing
medium, feed, positioning etc to help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

I grew some from seed years ago. I was walking through Chatsworth house
gardens and a few fell off a yew tree into my pocket, so I planted them
in pots of garden soil as I remember for a couple of years then planted
them out in the garden. They were s-l-o-w to get going, but after a few
years started to romp away, putting a few inches on each year. Not the
fasted tree to grow from seed.

Isn't it amazing how seeds do that pocket thing? ;-) Thinking of slow
to get going from seed, we have an Atlantic cedar at the bottom of the
garden which is probably over 150 years old. One customer looked at
some of its cones and asked how long it would take to grow to maturity
from seed. I ask him how long he was planning tolive!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Isn't it amazing how seeds do that pocket thing? ;-)

On one occassion in the early 1980's, we were inspecting the Chrysanthemum
trials at Wisley (I used to serve on the Joint Floral Committee). I asked
the Superintendant how much labour was required to keep the sideshoots
removed from the plants. His reply was "none at all, the public do it for
us!" It seems that there are special gardening jackets with the pockets
lined with polythene!!!

Phil

Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 20:46:36 +0100, "Phil Gurr" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Isn't it amazing how seeds do that pocket thing? ;-)

On one occassion in the early 1980's, we were inspecting the Chrysanthemum
trials at Wisley (I used to serve on the Joint Floral Committee). I asked
the Superintendant how much labour was required to keep the sideshoots
removed from the plants. His reply was "none at all, the public do it for
us!" It seems that there are special gardening jackets with the pockets
lined with polythene!!!

Phil

Oh, lovely! Reminds me of the joke I know I've told before, so please
bear with me:
"When is the best time to take cuttings?" "When the owner isn't looking." ;-)

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have dug up and
put into pots in an attempt to grow them into something useful. None are
doing particularly well. Any sugestions on the best growing medium, feed,
positioning etc to help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

and advice on when and how to shape them please.

We have the same, again put into a pot and now about 12 inches high

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

I believe its September and cone shaped ones are nice.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
I keep finding self seeded yews around the gardens, some I have dug up
and put into pots in an attempt to grow them into something useful. None
are doing particularly well. Any sugestions on the best growing medium,
feed, positioning etc to help them do well would be appreciated.

Mike

and advice on when and how to shape them please.

We have the same, again put into a pot and now about 12 inches high

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

I believe its September and cone shaped ones are nice.

Thank you.
I 'think' we might try something more adventurous than a cone, ball or box
;-)

See what the gardener says ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Ugly Yews MaGGie Gardening 13 06-04-2004 08:50 PM
Severe pruning of old yews? Tony Gardening 14 01-03-2004 11:38 PM
I am worried my yews are dying Larry Travis Lawns 5 26-09-2003 04:42 PM
[IBC] Collecting Yews Sean Nemecek Bonsai 9 30-06-2003 01:56 AM
pyramidal yews yellowing ?? Help GaryDawg Lawns 0 13-06-2003 01:08 AM