Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

Default stop the walnuts

She said she thought they were black walnuts. I have seen dozens of people
using that method. You drive up to their house and find a bunch of black
walnuts in a low spot in their dirt driveway.

Dwayne

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
I'd say it depends on the type of walnut. If you tried driving over
mine you'd end up with a big sloppy mess. I can break open a nut in my
bare hand.
The easiest ones to clean, fall when the peel is still green, but with
my tree only 25% are this way. The rest don't fall until the peels
turn black and that means they are a real pain to clean.
Here is what I do:
Everyday I would go out and pick up the nuts and place them in
buckets, coolers anything like that and fill them with water ( this
helps soften the peels). And then when I had the time I'd go out and
sort all the clean ones and place them in milk crates so air can
circulate around them (this is very important) if you do not they will
start molding on you. It helps to wear latex gloves when cleaning the
walnuts because that black stuff will not come off, you have to wear
it off. I use a stiff scrub brush to try and get some of the stuff off
of them, I don't know how necessary it is to get them absolutely clean
but I figure the more residue they have on them, the longer it will
take for them to dry. This year I tried using hot water to help soften
the peels since it was around 20 to 30* outside. It seemed to help a
lot. Another thing, I try not to put very many in the milk crates, I
only fill them about half full. More than that they don't seem to dry
out very well. To help with the drying I also bring them into the
house and place them in front of my furnace for awhile.