Old 14-04-2003, 02:32 PM
rebecc

Default stop the walnuts

i am trying to stop my massive walnut tree from producing. does anyone know
how to do this? i think it's a black walnut. it's pretty old, it shades
about 1/3 of an acre. thank you!

rebecca

Old 15-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Scott

Why? I love my walnut tree!
If you don't want the mess, put an ad in the newspaper. I get people
stopping by my house every year asking if they can pick 'em. Of course
I say "No way!" I want 'em all to myself! Ha Ha Ha!
I think you can get around $2 a pound for 'em (cleaned)

Old 15-04-2003, 02:32 AM
mgbgt

I also have a large walnut tree that produces large quantities of nuts and
am unsure of how to clean them for use. Can you explain the steps you take
to get nuts ready to eat?

Thanks,
Don

om...

Old 15-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

Pick them up when they fall from the tree. Lay them on a dirt driveway and
drive over them for a few days, until the outer peelings come off. Pick
them up and lay them out until they are completely dry (if you don't, they
will smell bad and possibly get maggots) , then put them in a box and leave
them there for several months (if you don't, they will be harder to get out
of the shell. It is easier when the meat dries and shrinks up some). Set
them something hard and hit them with a hammer on the pointed end Either
that or use a heavy duty nut cracker).

Enjoy. Dwayne

Old 15-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Scott

I'd say it depends on the type of walnut. If you tried driving over
mine you'd end up with a big sloppy mess. I can break open a nut in my
bare hand.
The easiest ones to clean, fall when the peel is still green, but with
my tree only 25% are this way. The rest don't fall until the peels
turn black and that means they are a real pain to clean.
Here is what I do:
Everyday I would go out and pick up the nuts and place them in
buckets, coolers anything like that and fill them with water ( this
helps soften the peels). And then when I had the time I'd go out and
sort all the clean ones and place them in milk crates so air can
circulate around them (this is very important) if you do not they will
start molding on you. It helps to wear latex gloves when cleaning the
walnuts because that black stuff will not come off, you have to wear
it off. I use a stiff scrub brush to try and get some of the stuff off
of them, I don't know how necessary it is to get them absolutely clean
but I figure the more residue they have on them, the longer it will
take for them to dry. This year I tried using hot water to help soften
the peels since it was around 20 to 30* outside. It seemed to help a
lot. Another thing, I try not to put very many in the milk crates, I
only fill them about half full. More than that they don't seem to dry
out very well. To help with the drying I also bring them into the
house and place them in front of my furnace for awhile.
Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

"rebecc" wrote in message ...
i am trying to stop my massive walnut tree from producing. does anyone know
how to do this? i think it's a black walnut. it's pretty old, it shades
about 1/3 of an acre. thank you!

To stop a tree from producing, cut it down. If it *is* black walnut,
you may be able to sell the wood or trade it for the tree removal,
although *I* never had any success on that line.
Old 15-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Iris Cohen

i am trying to stop my massive walnut tree from producing. does anyone know
how to do this? i think it's a black walnut. it's pretty old, it shades
about 1/3 of an acre.

See above comment about hormone spray to prevent fruit setting. See if there is
one for walnuts. However, with a tree that size, you may need to have it
sprayed by a professional arborist, at considerable cost. If you don't need the
tree, a professional logger will pay you big bucks for the privilege of cutting
down the tree and hauling it away. Black walnut is extremely valuable wood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 15-04-2003, 05:20 PM
DavesVideo

Dwayne said:

Set

them something hard and hit them with a hammer on the pointed end Either
that or use a heavy duty nut cracker).

Where do you get one of them? I have never seen a nut cracker strong enough for
a black walnut. Must be hydraulic powered.

I haven't counted, but we must have about 20 black walnut trees. The ones close
to the house we harvest a bushel or so and give the rest to a neighbor who
bakes a lot with them. The ones farther away, just let them stay where they are
and make the squirrels happy.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Dwayne said:

Set

them something hard and hit them with a hammer on the pointed end Either
that or use a heavy duty nut cracker).

Where do you get one of them? I have never seen a nut cracker strong

enough for
a black walnut. Must be hydraulic powered.

The one I have is a Texas Two-Step, sold by H & K Mfg, 11741 FM 830,
Willis, TX 77378, (936) 856-4052. We bought it in Fort Smith for about
$8.00.

The best one was home made by a friend of mine in Arkansas using a hand
operated handle and an old Ford "O" ring. Dont think he will make any more.

Dwayne

Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

She said she thought they were black walnuts. I have seen dozens of people
using that method. You drive up to their house and find a bunch of black
walnuts in a low spot in their dirt driveway.

Dwayne

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

How can I sell walnuts? Michael Kohrs alt.forestry 0 21-09-2003 07:23 AM
Pickled walnuts - how? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 7 08-07-2003 11:43 PM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM