Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery flowers

On Jul 7, 11:05*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

On 2009-07-07 22:29:10 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill sa
id:

Thanks Sacha for the picture
Like others I am sure that the flowers had been dyed, as to Chrysanth
or dahlia then the best way to tell is by the stems, Chrysanth stems
are more woody than dahlia stems.
I aminclined to think they were Chrysanths as it is a little early for
dahlias, though there are some comming into flower, but on the other
hand it is also a bit out of season for chrysanth blooms.
I have posted the picture onto a dahlia site to see what comments I
get from there.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...?action=view¤t.
..
I'll

end now as it is getting uncomfortable sitting on this fence.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

;-) *It's a weird one. *At first I thought 'silk flowers' until I
noticed the dying off petals at the base. *There's authentic and
there's ridiculous!! *If the OP can send a pic of a leaf - assuming th
flowers aren't in the bin - that would help a lot.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Could it be Dahlia but put in a vase with red colouring? *I know a
florist who used to put colour in the water to give a different aspect
to the flower??

Judith

Could be. *I remember at school seeing white *carnations stood in blue
ink to turn the flower blue.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Standing the flowers in Dye tends to colour the whole flower, cutting
immature flowers and leting them develop in water esp in poor light
can result in the centres failing to develop their true colour.
I still think Mid June is early for dahlias.
David Hill

Mine are barely showing through the soil but this is normal for here,
August is a good time here for Dahlia.

Judith