Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Mystery flowers

Thanks Sacha for the picture
Like others I am sure that the flowers had been dyed, as to Chrysanth
or dahlia then the best way to tell is by the stems, Chrysanth stems
are more woody than dahlia stems.
I aminclined to think they were Chrysanths as it is a little early for
dahlias, though there are some comming into flower, but on the other
hand it is also a bit out of season for chrysanth blooms.
I have posted the picture onto a dahlia site to see what comments I
get from there.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f..._and_white.jpg
I'll end now as it is getting uncomfortable sitting on this fence.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Thanks Sacha for the picture
Like others I am sure that the flowers had been dyed, as to Chrysanth
or dahlia then the best way to tell is by the stems, Chrysanth stems
are more woody than dahlia stems.
I aminclined to think they were Chrysanths as it is a little early for
dahlias, though there are some comming into flower, but on the other
hand it is also a bit out of season for chrysanth blooms.
I have posted the picture onto a dahlia site to see what comments I
get from there.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f..._and_white.jpg

I'll

end now as it is getting uncomfortable sitting on this fence.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

;-) It's a weird one. At first I thought 'silk flowers' until I
noticed the dying off petals at the base. There's authentic and
there's ridiculous!! If the OP can send a pic of a leaf - assuming the
flowers aren't in the bin - that would help a lot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

;-) It's a weird one. At first I thought 'silk flowers' until I
noticed the dying off petals at the base. There's authentic and
there's ridiculous!! If the OP can send a pic of a leaf - assuming the
flowers aren't in the bin - that would help a lot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Sorry Sacha there was no leaves, just a bunch of flowers and
as you rightly assume they are now in the compost.

The flowers were bought by my son for his mother so when I
see him again I will ask from where they came and will go to
said place armed with camera (assuming it's not too far, he travels
quite long distances)

Wally

Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...n=view&current....

I'll

end now as it is getting uncomfortable sitting on this fence.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

;-) *It's a weird one. *At first I thought 'silk flowers' until I
noticed the dying off petals at the base. *There's authentic and
there's ridiculous!! *If the OP can send a pic of a leaf - assuming the
flowers aren't in the bin - that would help a lot.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Ahem, my old eyes could be deceiving me, but somehow I don't think
they are Dahlias or Chrysanthemums. There's one flower to the right
showing some of the calyx or rather one or two sepals, which don't
look anything like those of hybrid Dahlias and are too long for
Chrysanths. I'll stick my neck out and suggest they may be
Ranunculus. Wincing as I press send button .... ooouc...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

Thanks Sacha for the picture
Like others I am sure that the flowers had been dyed, as to Chrysanth
or dahlia then the best way to tell is by the stems, Chrysanth stems
are more woody than dahlia stems.
I aminclined to think they were Chrysanths as it is a little early for
dahlias, though there are some comming into flower, but on the other
hand it is also a bit out of season for chrysanth blooms.
I have posted the picture onto a dahlia site to see what comments I
get from there.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...n=view&current.

..
[...]

! Which one, David? I always think of those rather nice 'fat' ones
with large petals when I think of Ranunculus.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 21:03:30 +0100, "Wally" said:

;-) It's a weird one. At first I thought 'silk flowers' until I
noticed the dying off petals at the base. There's authentic and
there's ridiculous!! If the OP can send a pic of a leaf - assuming the
flowers aren't in the bin - that would help a lot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Sorry Sacha there was no leaves, just a bunch of flowers and
as you rightly assume they are now in the compost.

The flowers were bought by my son for his mother so when I
see him again I will ask from where they came and will go to
said place armed with camera (assuming it's not too far, he travels
quite long distances)

Wally

Yes, that would certainly help - ask him to buy her some more. ;-)
Lovely thing to do.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill said:

[...]

Could it be Dahlia but put in a vase with red colouring? I know a
florist who used to put colour in the water to give a different aspect
to the flower??

Judith
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 22:29:10 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

[...]

Could be. I remember at school seeing white carnations stood in blue
ink to turn the flower blue.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-07-07 22:29:10 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

Thanks Sacha for the picture
Like others I am sure that the flowers had been dyed, as to Chrysanth
or dahlia then the best way to tell is by the stems, Chrysanth stems
are more woody than dahlia stems.
I aminclined to think they were Chrysanths as it is a little early for
dahlias, though there are some comming into flower, but on the other
hand it is also a bit out of season for chrysanth blooms.
I have posted the picture onto a dahlia site to see what comments I
get from there.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...?action=view¤t.

..
[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Standing the flowers in Dye tends to colour the whole flower, cutting
immature flowers and leting them develop in water esp in poor light
can result in the centres failing to develop their true colour.
I still think Mid June is early for dahlias.
David Hill
Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
*I'll stick my neck out and suggest they may be
Ranunculus. *Wincing as I press send button .... *ooouc...

! Which one, David? *I always think of those rather nice 'fat' ones
with large petals when I think of Ranunculus.

I've seen variants of the hybrid R. asiaticum with narrow petals
although they weren't as full as those in the pic. Maybe it isn't,
but I've had a look at the calyx arrangement of several Dahlias since
my last post and at no stage stage do the sepals appear free and open
out as in the pic. They overlap to form a tube at the base of the
petals and because of that I cannot see how those in the pic can be
Dahlias, even if the petals suggest they are.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 11:05*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

On 2009-07-07 22:29:10 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill sa
id:

[...]

Mine are barely showing through the soil but this is normal for here,
August is a good time here for Dahlia.

Judith
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-08 08:10:21 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 22:29:10 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-07 18:45:47 +0100, Dave Hill

k sa
id:

[...]

Our Dahlia excelsa (from David Hill) are up and growing very tall and
are in flower. D. Engelhardt's Matador, which is the most fabulous
colour with bronze foliage, is just about to flower and D. The Bishop
of Llandaff is open and busily showing off in the long border. Even D.
imperialis which goes to about 17' in the garden and more in the
greenhouse, has a not-fully-grown cutting flowering in the greenhouse.
Mind you, compared to yours, our winters are sub-tropical!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..
snip
[...]

I have to take care here cos I don't wish to offend anyone in suggesting
that they came from the local supermarket, nothing wrong in that I like
flowers wherever they come from. I had a bunch of similar flowers, they were
plain white when fresh, I put them on a rather cool window sill and over a
few days they changed colour and ended up with a pink tinge, I thought it
was the cold which would not apply in this case but who knows what happens
to these flowers before we buy them.

kate