Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john royce View Post
we have not too far from us a little pine tree which has just produced this
cone. (see photo)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dqm5wp&s=3

we would like to try to grow the seeds. someone told us to plant the cone
in a pot before it opens?

but what would be the right time to do it, and how crucial is the timing?
since it might open quickly and we cannot visit it every day.
We brought home a large pine cone from Spain, probable P. pinaster or something, that was still closed. We put it on a windowsill. Then a few days later the wife heard a large bang that sounded like some terrible disaster, but it was the pine cone opening. We could take the seeds out then. But they weren't big enough to eat.