Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Crocosmia question.

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-08 15:15:14 +0100, Freedom_Spark
said:

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

They should certainly be not just showing now but in the case of C.
Lucifer, be flowering or preparing to do so, depending on where you
live.

"Depending on where you live" is the key! Mine are certainly not showing
flower buds and I wouldn't expect them to be this early.

Young Crocosmia look very like grass (except that the bases are flat
rather than rounded). At the moment, mine (in Yorkshire) are about 18
inches long, like a big clump of yellowy green rather flat bladed
grass.

--
Kay