Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Default Crocosmia question.

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to September. Any advice very welcome.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-08 15:15:14 +0100, Freedom_Spark
said:

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

They should certainly be not just showing now but in the case of C.
Lucifer, be flowering or preparing to do so, depending on where you
live. Our C. Lucifer are in flower now, our C. Krakatoa are in bud
and will be taking over from C. Lucifer. The leaves are a dull green
and quite broad maybe 3" to 4" across, straplike coming to a point.
The flowers are on racemes i.e. long 'spikes' of flowering heads. I
think either you've dug them out by accident, mice have had them,
they've rotted away in the wet, or perhaps frozen to death if you live
in a very cold area. The corms need to be planted in a sunny, well
drained spot.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-08 15:15:14 +0100, Freedom_Spark
said:

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

They should certainly be not just showing now but in the case of C.
Lucifer, be flowering or preparing to do so, depending on where you
live.

"Depending on where you live" is the key! Mine are certainly not showing
flower buds and I wouldn't expect them to be this early.

Young Crocosmia look very like grass (except that the bases are flat
rather than rounded). At the moment, mine (in Yorkshire) are about 18
inches long, like a big clump of yellowy green rather flat bladed
grass.

--
Kay
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 8, 3:15*pm, Freedom_Spark Freedom_Spark.
wrote:
Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

--
Freedom_Spark

Mine just have a small swelling where the flower is ready to start
emerging, I would suspect at least 2-3 weeks before actual flowering.

Judith
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

--
Freedom_Spark

If you would like some of my corms, C. Lucifer, email me and I will
send you some in the Autumn.

Judith
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-08 15:15:14 +0100, Freedom_Spark
said:

[...]

And then treated with a several doses of glyphosate if you don't want them
coming up in you and your neighbours' gardens for the next umpteen years...

There are some very invasive Crocosmia plants out there. Not all, perhaps,
but you have been warned!

--
Jeff

Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Freedom_Spark" wrote in message

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

I planted crocosmia corms last spring. They are about 18" high and no sign
of any flowers yet.

mark

Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

"Freedom_Spark" wrote in message
.. .

Hi everyone, this year I moved my lupins to a different area of the
garden & bought some 'crocosmia crocosmiiflora' bulbs to bring a splash
warmth and colour, we planted them in late april at the spacing of ten
centimetres. The problem is I see no sign of the flowers, I've left the
area un-weeded (aside from those which I am certain are weeds and not
flowers, as I keep reiterating I'm a complete gardening novice) What do
young crocosmia look like? What should I be seeing at this stage? I
followed the instructions to the letter, is there any reason why they
wouldn't show up? The flowering time is supposed to be July to
September. Any advice very welcome.

I planted crocosmia corms last spring. They are about 18" high and no sign
of any flowers yet.

mark

The crocosmia I transplanted last autumn are about 15-18" high and some
clumps are forming flowers, not yet open.

I still have a large clump from where I thought I'd removed them,
looking more vigorous than last year. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

If you would like some of my corms, C. Lucifer, email me and I will
send you some in the Autumn.

Spouse grew some Lucifer crocrosmia from seed. Brought some over from
our old house in England and they are romping away now and seem to have
come true - well they are red anyway.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:

[...]

I get the impression you are not sure if you even have the right leaves?
If this is the case you should have tall sowd shaped leaves 3-4 feet
high.
What time of year did you plant the corms because they are tender and if
it was just before that cold spell they might have pegged it!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
If you would like some of my corms, C. Lucifer, email me and I will
send you some in the Autumn.

Judith
Quote:

And then treated with a several doses of glyphosate if you don't want them
coming up in you and your neighbours' gardens for the next umpteen years...

There are some very invasive Crocosmia plants out there. Not all, perhaps,
but you have been warned!

--
Jeff
Quote:

I planted crocosmia corms last spring. They are about 18" high and no sign
of any flowers yet.

mark
Thanks everyone, I live in Northern Ireland & we've had a ridiculous amount of rain this year, it's possible that the majority of the bulbs rotted I suppose, certainly in the vegetable garden, we had quite a few no shows from seeds which were planted singularly, I assume the water was able to gather around them. I just had time to take a quick look this morning & I did spot a tiny amount of grass like leaves, they were only about ten centimetres high. I've just realised that some plants alongside the road about a mile from my house are crocosmia, so they must be invasive, I assume they escaped from a garden at some point. They've been there since I moved into this area when I was six, almost seventeen years ago and no one ever tends to them, the flowers continue to reappear each year. I assume mine might be a lost cause this year anyway. Thanks again for the advice