Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Green Green Grass

"drtj1960" wrote in message

Muddymike;855104 Wrote:
"drtj1960" wrote in
message
...-

Hi everyone, I too am a newbie to the Forum and also I have a
question.
I hope someone can help me with. I have always had a Lawn to
look after
that was moderate in size, however last year I moved house to
very
large garden of an acre with a large lawn. The garden has been
neglected for many years and I am in the process of reclaiming
it back
a little from mother nature, wrestling with Bind weed and
Ground elder
on a large scale as well as other weeds.
My question is ; In the large lawn is Ground elder, bind weed,
in
places, but I also have problems with Clover, purple and white
on a
large scale. Money is very tight and I try to garden without
the use of
pesticides as much as possible except Glyposate for the ground
elder.
The garden backs onto the Village meadow and is surrounded by
wonderful
full size trees. Can anyone give me advice on what I could do
to Improve
the Lawn and try to erradicate some of these problems? I
suppose I am a
little frightened of ploughing in, incase I ruin such a large
area and
can't afford to replace it. Help!!-

My last home had over half an acre of lawn, or over half an
acre
of weeds when we bought it. Apart from a little levelling here
and there and adding a little grass seed to the bare patches,
all
I did was mow regularly. Not too low, but sometimes twice a
week.
By the second year most of the weeds had gone. Persistent ones
were then spot treated with some liquid lawn "feed and weed".
Having a 42 inch ride on mower made the mowing quick and easy
so
I didn't mind the twice weekly periods. I also made a heavy
roller to tow behind the mower (a simple shaft through two old
gas cylinders filled with concrete with an "A" frame towbar
knocked up from some second-hand dexion angle) which helped a
lot
in the first couple of years. Just don't expect instant
results.

Mike

You have given me lots of hope and encouragement Mike I hope my
Grass
looks as good as yours sounds in a couple of Years. I myself
have a 36"
tractor mower I will certainly give it some thought about
useing a
roller behind!
Debs

I might have a picture of it somewhere. If I find it I will pop
it on my photo site to give you a little help in making one.

Mike