Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Plant a fruit tree at work

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message
I bought a nice mandarin tree today. That is going in to a sunny site
along a wall at the office tomorrow.

The existing garden has a few shitey little shrubs and what looks like
some rubbish clay soil.

A couple of small shrubs will be sacrificed & the shitey soils amended
with some good well rotten leaves lying around the car park.

The mandarin tree will go in and hopefully start producing some nice
fruit next winter in what is otherwise a large carpark.

Make a barren car park a productive food producing area.

If I can find a place to do so, I could post some before & after pictures
on the web.

rob

I hear tell that "shitey" soil is very fertile.

right then,

it is "********" soil.

but much better today with the mandarin tree planted and all the leaves &
humus around the carpark either dug into or mulches across the top of the
garden. We will amend the leave mulch with our lunchtime scraps buried under
a few leaves.

basically just builders sand with a bit of light coloured sticky clay-soil &
stones.

as the humus breaks down into spring we plant to get a few veges growing.
Should be reasonable productive garden in time.

just perfect for the peak oil need to go urban farming. We'll be miles ahead
at our office.

rob

We'll all be doing this very soon. Good on ya'.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn