Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hibiscus syriacus 'Ruby'

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Aldi have a batch of Hibiscus on sale. Apart from 'Lady Stanley' and
'Jeanne d'Arc' the other variety they have is labelled 'Ruby', which is
new to me. Does anyone know anything about it?

I wonder if it's actually H.sinosyriacus "Ruby Glow" ? A white flower with a
red centre.

I did wonder about that. (There's also a 'Ruby Dot', if it's different,
with the same coloration).

If I recall correctly, the label showed a single-red, but then label
images are not always representative of the plant being sold (e.g.
Lavatera x clementii with a label showing Lavatera 'Bicolor', or even
Malva sylvestris).

I had forgotten that 'Ruby Glow' was sinosyriacus. If I recall correctly
sinosyriacus can be distinguished by the foliage, so I can look into
that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley