Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hibiscus syriacus 'Ruby'

Aldi have a batch of Hibiscus on sale. Apart from 'Lady Stanley' and
'Jeanne d'Arc' the other variety they have is labelled 'Ruby', which is
new to me. Does anyone know anything about it?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Aldi have a batch of Hibiscus on sale. Apart from 'Lady Stanley' and
'Jeanne d'Arc' the other variety they have is labelled 'Ruby', which is
new to me. Does anyone know anything about it?

I wonder if it's actually H.sinosyriacus "Ruby Glow" ? A white flower with a
red centre.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Aldi have a batch of Hibiscus on sale. Apart from 'Lady Stanley' and
'Jeanne d'Arc' the other variety they have is labelled 'Ruby', which is
new to me. Does anyone know anything about it?

I wonder if it's actually H.sinosyriacus "Ruby Glow" ? A white flower with a
red centre.

I did wonder about that. (There's also a 'Ruby Dot', if it's different,
with the same coloration).

If I recall correctly, the label showed a single-red, but then label
images are not always representative of the plant being sold (e.g.
Lavatera x clementii with a label showing Lavatera 'Bicolor', or even
Malva sylvestris).

I had forgotten that 'Ruby Glow' was sinosyriacus. If I recall correctly
sinosyriacus can be distinguished by the foliage, so I can look into
that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 7:34*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I wonder if it's actually H.sinosyriacus "Ruby Glow" ? A white flower with a
red centre.

I did wonder about that. (There's also a 'Ruby Dot', if it's different,
with the same coloration).

'Ruby Dot' is a moscheutos hybrid so I doubt it would be that,
although with stores like these.... 'Ruby Glow' is probably a bit too
rare for it to appear amongst Aldi offerings, but I suppose it's not
completely beyond the bounds of possibility.

If I recall correctly, the label showed a single-red, but then label
images are not always representative of the plant being sold ....

The 'sheds' and stores are notoriously incapable of getting names
correct as you've intimated and seem blissfully oblivious to the
importance of correct information on their labels. It's a fair bet
that their suppliers have packaged an unknown/lost label/seedling,
single red syriacus hybrid, decided that 'ruby red' sounds much better
(ie. more marketable) than 'red' and by the time it's reached the
labelling stage, hey presto Hibiscus 'Ruby' is born! There is a
sinensis hybrid of that name, but you'd have spotted its leaves
immediately.

I had forgotten that 'Ruby Glow' was sinosyriacus. If I recall correctly
sinosyriacus can be distinguished by the foliage, so I can look into
that.

Well, if it turns out to have the paler, shallowly lobed leaves of
that hybrid, do let us know - I'll be over to the nearest Aldi like a
shot. I tried to get 'Ruby Glow' a year or two ago from PGP, but
they hadn't any to spare

Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 July, 08:29, DaveP wrote:
[...]

I purchased an Hibiscus from Aldi last year, it is growing well, could
anybody tell me when it is likely to flower?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
MikeC writes
On 10 July, 08:29, DaveP wrote:
[...]

Hibiscus syriacus is late-flowering - mid-August onwards.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 9:12*am, MikeC wrote:

I purchased an Hibiscus from Aldi last year, it is growing well, could
anybody tell me when it is likely to flower?

Depends upon whether you have it in a very sunny or lightly shaded
spot as well as where you live. In the south flowering can start in
late June/early July, but further north it is usually August. Shade
can delay or even prevent flowering since it really does like a good
baking in summer. Older plants naturally start flowering sooner in
the year so expect a few late-ish starts until it is well
established.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeC" wrote
I purchased an Hibiscus from Aldi last year, it is growing well, could
anybody tell me when it is likely to flower?

Any time now, one of mine is in bud, another is still thinking about it but
over in Isleworth nearer London in a relatives garden, two are actually
showing a few flowers and one is about to start. Depends where you are.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
DaveP writes
On Jul 10, 7:34*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I wonder if it's actually H.sinosyriacus "Ruby Glow" ? A white flower with a
red centre.

I did wonder about that. (There's also a 'Ruby Dot', if it's different,
with the same coloration).

'Ruby Dot' is a moscheutos hybrid so I doubt it would be that,
although with stores like these....

You can see how deeply (not) I dug into Google. (Probably I'd have
noticed if it was a Muenchhusia.)

'Ruby Glow' is probably a bit too
rare for it to appear amongst Aldi offerings, but I suppose it's not
completely beyond the bounds of possibility.

The other two varieties that they have are 'Lady Stanley' and 'Jeanne
d'Arc', which is the first time I've seen the latter on sale.

If I recall correctly, the label showed a single-red, but then label
images are not always representative of the plant being sold ....

The 'sheds' and stores are notoriously incapable of getting names
correct as you've intimated and seem blissfully oblivious to the
importance of correct information on their labels. It's a fair bet
that their suppliers have packaged an unknown/lost label/seedling,
single red syriacus hybrid, decided that 'ruby red' sounds much better
(ie. more marketable) than 'red' and by the time it's reached the
labelling stage, hey presto Hibiscus 'Ruby' is born! There is a
sinensis hybrid of that name, but you'd have spotted its leaves
immediately.

It's not just 'sheds' and stores. I've seen mislabelled plants in
nurseries and garden centres as well.

I bought two Sidalceas from a local garden centre once - one labelled as
'Elsie Heugh' and the other as malviflora. They're both the same, and
are very close to 'Sussex Beauty' and 'Loveliness'. I've had two rather
different plants under the name of Sidalcea 'Brilliant' - one was a
slightly taller oregana-type, and the other is one of the sterile-ish
hybrids, similar in habit to 'Candy Girl'.

FWIW, the label shows a more intense red that 'Woodbridge', which is the
standard single red.

I had forgotten that 'Ruby Glow' was sinosyriacus. If I recall correctly
sinosyriacus can be distinguished by the foliage, so I can look into
that.

Well, if it turns out to have the paler, shallowly lobed leaves of
that hybrid, do let us know - I'll be over to the nearest Aldi like a
shot. I tried to get 'Ruby Glow' a year or two ago from PGP, but
they hadn't any to spare

There were plants with paler leaves, but they were the 'Jeanne d'Arc'.
(Presumably the lack of pigment in the flowers - it's a single white -
is reflected in the foliage.)

The plants have disappeared remarkably quickly - I was back today, two
days later, and 90% of them had gone.

They're well grown plants - much bigger than the titchy plants that you
see in B&Q sometimes - but they've been pruned hard, so they may not
flower this year. But they're big enough I can consider taking cuttings.

This brings me up to 18 varieties of Hibiscus syriacus, plus an apparent
double sport of 'Hamabo' that I saw in (IIRC) Focus, and snapped up.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
In message
,
DaveP
writes
[...]

My wife has bougth a Ruby Hibiscus from Aldi. Like all their plants it is a very good plant, but the label is brief to the point of curtness. It has a photo of a single red, symbols for sun or half shade, and a styllised flower with vi - viii (June to August?). But nothing about the size or planting preferences of the plant. I am mainly concerned to know how big it will grow so that I can decide where to put it.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Keith Collett
writes

Stewart Robert Hinsley;855681 Wrote:
In message
,
DaveP
writes-

-
[...]

Hibiscus syriacus is slow growing, but can get fairly large in the end.
If I recall correctly some specimens grown against walls in Winterbourne
Botanic Garden in Birmingham were 5 or 6 feet wide, and perhaps 8 feet
wide. I've seen others 8 feet tall. A RHS encyclopedia says height 10
feet, spread 6 ft.

It is cold tolerant, being native to Korea (where it is the national
plant) and northern China. However it doesn't flower well unless treated
to plenty of heat in summer, and in northern areas the standard advice
is to grow it against a south-facing wall.

(Warning - it is late into leaf, so don't get scared when it's still
bare-stemmed well into spring.)

A lot of mallows don't like having their roots sitting in water, but
don't have any reason to believe that this species is particularly
sensitive. I still wouldn't try it as a marginal plant for a pond.
--
Keith Collett

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Collett" wrote
[...]

Can be pruned so it can grow as big as you decide. I know a couple that are
quite old with thick trunks but the bushes are only 5ft round balls as they
are pruned hard every winter. They flower profusely.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden