Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Peppers dropping flowers and immature fruit

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
I can't do much about the heat here in SoCal. Even the shade is 92F
today and literature says peppers drop over 90F. So my bell peppers
have started to drop their buds and small fruit. I have several
larger peppers holding their own. The plant is not stressed, it gets
water every day and needs it, the nights have been rather warm and
the days in the low 90s. I gave them all a drink of magnesium this
morning - 2 tablespoons for a gallon of water. What else can I do? The
one that drops the most buds is in a 5 gallon white bucket. Could the
roots be getting too hot? I was thinking about wrapping
some foil around the bucket.

Make sure the top of the bucket is well mulched and that it is not on
concrete or brick that will get hot from the sun. If the air temp is
so
high there isn't much you can do about that.

OK, can do. I put the bucket on the grass and I have a huge bag of
mulch.
Will it help to wrap the container in foil as I think the bucket is
getting
overheated. I have peppers in terra cotta colored plastic containers and
they seem happier.

Where are you again Paul? LA is running low to mid-80s.

LA is cooler than the valleys which reach high 90s and low 100s in the
summer. I am 40 miles due east of LA.

Paul