Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Yet more rain

I thought the forcast was for a dry hot summer.
Since the heatwave passed it has done almost nothing but rain.
Our ground can't take any more, it is running off everywhere.
Friday 0.6 inches then last night starting after 7pm till around 1am
we had another 1.6 inches.
I had to go out when it finished and make sure it was running away
where ever possible.
I had to dig a couple of ditches in the field to stop it running
through the dahlias and washing them away, great fun by torch light.
Having lost so many dahlias the last 2 wet summers I was hopeing that
this year I could have a good "Normal" summer to try to recover my
stock, but if this carries on then I wonder what I will have left.
I wonder if it is natures way of telling me to get out of growing and
to retire?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries