Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Yet more rain

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I thought the forcast was for a dry hot summer.
Since the heatwave passed it has done almost nothing but rain.
Our ground can't take any more, it is running off everywhere.
Friday 0.6 inches then last night starting after 7pm till
around 1am
we had another 1.6 inches.
I had to go out when it finished and make sure it was running
away
where ever possible.
I had to dig a couple of ditches in the field to stop it
running
through the dahlias and washing them away, great fun by torch
light.

Invest in a head torch David, they are perfect for nocturnal
activities which require both hand free.

We enjoyed steady rain last night, enough to almost fill a new
water but I set up by the old shed on Friday. Frankly we needed
it, the back lawn had started to scorch, and I had the sprinkler
going on the far lawn last week. All our paying guests over the
past 6 weeks have commented on how dry and warm its been here in
North Yorkshire. Yesterday was perfect, lots of sun yet a nice
breeze to keep us comfortable, the rain only started about 9pm.
This morning is overcast with a little light drizzle at times, so
I have made a start on staining and varnishing the two new doors
that were fitted in the hallway 6 weeks ago. I kept saying,
"first wet weekend is when I will do it" so now I have no excuse
:-)

Mike