Old 13-07-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Shrub ID help please

On 2009-07-13 16:20:30 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

"echinosum" wrote in message

Rondeco;855803 Wrote:
Thanks for your response . I've searched Google images and can't see a
Cedar tree that looks anything like it , if it helps ... the foliage is
very soft , not stiff like pine needles and I've never seen any kind of
cone or fruit on it .
snip

Know what I think it might be? Cryptomeria japonica - but as I am not
familiar with the species I can not be sure. Foliage of certain varieties
can be quite soft according to web sites I've looked at, and the reddish
bark seems to confirm it.

If that's what it is then it's quite unusual in a small garden as it more
normally associated with large parks. It would be a tragedy to lose it so I
hope it is all right.

R.

We have Cryptomeria in the churchyard bordering our garden. At the end
of the year it's normal for it to become rusty coloured. I'll look
more closely tomorrow and check the scent but you may have got it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com