Old 13-07-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato problem

Len Case wrote:
Hi to all for the first time. Hope someone will help me please.
I have grown some nice looking tomatoes and they look ripe but when I
cut into them the core is hard and not ripe and just under the skin
it is green for 1/4 of an inch.
I have feed them 2 or three times a week with tomrite so does that be
the cause and what does feeding them more than the bottle do?.
Some of them have also a cracked rough feel and appearance, do you
know what that is please.
Thanks for any help.
Len

Bob's comment re temp are right. I don't have the luxury of a greenhouse, so
grow toms in pots on the patio. I drown them every evening, and feed
Tomorite ONCE a week. I also stand the pots in trays, which I fill with
water every morning before going to work. Lack of water will cause split
skins, and blackened ends on fruit.
--
Pete C
London UK