Old 13-07-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato problem

Hi to all for the first time. Hope someone will help me please.
I have grown some nice looking tomatoes and they look ripe but when I cut
into them the core is hard and not ripe and just under the skin
it is green for 1/4 of an inch.
I have feed them 2 or three times a week with tomrite so does that be the
cause and what does feeding them more than the bottle do?.
Some of them have also a cracked rough feel and appearance, do you know what
that is please.
Thanks for any help.
Len

Old 13-07-2009, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Len Case" wrote ...
Hi to all for the first time. Hope someone will help me please.
I have grown some nice looking tomatoes and they look ripe but when I cut
into them the core is hard and not ripe and just under the skin
it is green for 1/4 of an inch.
I have feed them 2 or three times a week with tomrite so does that be the
cause and what does feeding them more than the bottle do?.
Some of them have also a cracked rough feel and appearance, do you know
what that is please.

Your first problem can be lack of potassium but that is unlikely with your
fertilizer use but your last comment would suggest uneven watering and/or
too high temperatures which can be the cause of both problems.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-07-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob Thanks for the reply,,,,,,,I have been giving a full watering can of
water for every 3 plants and I thought that might be right unless
you tell me otherwise, and I leave one window open all the time, but as you
say it has been hot this year so I will open the othe window and
leave the door open half and hope that cures the prob.
Thanks
Len

Old 13-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Len Case" wrote ...
Hi Bob Thanks for the reply,,,,,,,I have been giving a full watering can of
water for every 3 plants and I thought that might be right unless
you tell me otherwise, and I leave one window open all the time, but as
you
say it has been hot this year so I will open the other window and
leave the door open half and hope that cures the prob.

Sounds adequate to me so the temperature is obviously the key.
This is where automatic vents are worth their money. I personally would have
both windows with automatic vents and some louvers near the floor at the
opposite end to the door also with an automatic louver vent.
Opening the door is OK but if you close it at night the temp can go up
alarmingly before you get out of bed of a summers morning, seen my old Mums
greenhouse get to 120°F by 8am (but she grew cacti).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-07-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Len Case wrote:
Hi to all for the first time. Hope someone will help me please.
I have grown some nice looking tomatoes and they look ripe but when I
cut into them the core is hard and not ripe and just under the skin
it is green for 1/4 of an inch.
I have feed them 2 or three times a week with tomrite so does that be
the cause and what does feeding them more than the bottle do?.
Some of them have also a cracked rough feel and appearance, do you
know what that is please.
Thanks for any help.
Len

Bob's comment re temp are right. I don't have the luxury of a greenhouse, so
grow toms in pots on the patio. I drown them every evening, and feed
Tomorite ONCE a week. I also stand the pots in trays, which I fill with
water every morning before going to work. Lack of water will cause split
skins, and blackened ends on fruit.
--
Pete C
London UK