Old 14-07-2009, 10:11 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
On We have Cryptomeria in the churchyard bordering our garden. At the end
of the year it's normal for it to become rusty coloured. I'll look
more closely tomorrow and check the scent but you may have got it.
I had a quick look at the C Japonica in my garden last night, and the needles look just those in the picture (but smaller, because mine is a dwarf contorta form). Mine has bronze-coloured new growth, which looks unhealthy at first glance until you realise it is supposed to be like that. And bits of it die back after a cold winter. It only ever produces any cones in very hot years.

As you can see from the bare lower trunk, if you cut back too far, it doesn't come back.