Old 14-07-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Camellia help needed

On 2009-07-14 13:59:55 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ..
Okay this is a little sensitive so please bear with me. My wife and I
bought
two Camellia's about 6 weeks back. One was to go straight in to the
ground
and the other in a pot. The one in the pot was to be very special to us
as
it was in memoriam of our child that we lost at an early age.
However, I discovered last night to my horror that we have planted them
the
wrong way round and that the one in the pot should be in the ground.
What is the best thing to do in regards to swapping them. If I swap them
now
will it be too much of a shock to the plants and kill them both off? As
you
can imagine losing the plants would devastate my wife right now.

6 Weeks is not long enough for the plant to have made a lot of root and
it should be relatively easy to dig up the in the ground plant and
replace with the other, just make sure that they do not dry out during
the rest of the summer. Camellias have quite compct root systems anyway.

Totally agree with Charlie and will confirm that keeping the compost/soil
moist is most important, a dose of Sequestered Iron, available at all GCs,
will also help keep them healthy.
Unless you live in a acid soil area it's a good idea to give all Camellias,
and especially pot grown plants, a dose of Sequestered Iron each spring.

All good advice. I would only suggest buying another of the memorial
plant just in case but that idea may not appeal. I'm very sorry for
your loss.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com