Old 14-07-2009, 02:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia help needed

Okay this is a little sensitive so please bear with me. My wife and I bought
two Camellia's about 6 weeks back. One was to go straight in to the ground
and the other in a pot. The one in the pot was to be very special to us as
it was in memoriam of our child that we lost at an early age.
However, I discovered last night to my horror that we have planted them the
wrong way round and that the one in the pot should be in the ground.
What is the best thing to do in regards to swapping them. If I swap them now
will it be too much of a shock to the plants and kill them both off? As you
can imagine losing the plants would devastate my wife right now.

Old 14-07-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ..
Okay this is a little sensitive so please bear with me. My wife and I
bought
two Camellia's about 6 weeks back. One was to go straight in to the
ground
and the other in a pot. The one in the pot was to be very special to us
as
it was in memoriam of our child that we lost at an early age.
However, I discovered last night to my horror that we have planted them
the
wrong way round and that the one in the pot should be in the ground.
What is the best thing to do in regards to swapping them. If I swap them
now
will it be too much of a shock to the plants and kill them both off? As
you
can imagine losing the plants would devastate my wife right now.

6 Weeks is not long enough for the plant to have made a lot of root and
it should be relatively easy to dig up the in the ground plant and
replace with the other, just make sure that they do not dry out during
the rest of the summer. Camellias have quite compct root systems anyway.

Totally agree with Charlie and will confirm that keeping the compost/soil
moist is most important, a dose of Sequestered Iron, available at all GCs,
will also help keep them healthy.
Unless you live in a acid soil area it's a good idea to give all Camellias,
and especially pot grown plants, a dose of Sequestered Iron each spring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-07-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-14 13:59:55 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ..
[...]

All good advice. I would only suggest buying another of the memorial
plant just in case but that idea may not appeal. I'm very sorry for
your loss.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-07-2009, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike E" wrote in message
Okay this is a little sensitive so please bear with me. My wife and I
bought two Camellia's about 6 weeks back. One was to go straight in to the
ground and the other in a pot. The one in the pot was to be very special
to us as it was in memoriam of our child that we lost at an early age.
However, I discovered last night to my horror that we have planted them
the wrong way round and that the one in the pot should be in the ground.
What is the best thing to do in regards to swapping them. If I swap them
now will it be too much of a shock to the plants and kill them both off?
As you can imagine losing the plants would devastate my wife right now.

Thank you all so much x

Old 15-07-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike E" wrote in message

"Mike E" wrote in message
Okay this is a little sensitive so please bear with me. My wife and I
bought two Camellia's about 6 weeks back. One was to go straight in to
the ground and the other in a pot. The one in the pot was to be very
special to us as it was in memoriam of our child that we lost at an early
age.
However, I discovered last night to my horror that we have planted them
the wrong way round and that the one in the pot should be in the ground.
What is the best thing to do in regards to swapping them. If I swap them
now will it be too much of a shock to the plants and kill them both off?
As you can imagine losing the plants would devastate my wife right now.

Thank you all so much x

I'm sure you could lift them both easily after such a short time. Because
of the time of year, you will have to water them thoroughly until they
establish, but I don't see a problem otherwise. Because of their importance
to you, I'm sure you'll take really good care of them. I have a few 'in
memoriam' plants in my garden and I know how helpful they can be. I hope
they ease your loss.

Going back to cultivation, I should mention that Camellias start to build up
to flower bud production in late summer. Watering well from August thro'
autumn (and in winter if very dry), will help prevent bud drop and should
ensure flowering, especially if you give them a high potash feed (ie
Tomerite) once they've settled in. Do not, however, give them a general or
high nitrogen feed now, as they may produce soft, sappy growth which may be
damaged by early frosts.

Spider