Old 15-07-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default propping up plants

Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:19:35 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Those cheap tomato cages they sell are totally inadequate for tomatoes
but make *great* supports for peppers and eggplants.

I use the cages for tomatoes too, but I put them upside down (secured with
lawn staples), and tie them together at the top, which gives them an extra
12-18" of height. Many of the plants still are way too tall (some of my
heirlooms are now about eight feet tall!), but I can't see spending $10-15
on a single cage. (I have about 60 tomato plants.)
--S.

Cattle panels. Bolt cutters. Tee posts. Wire. Multi purpose and
great for tomatoes, climbing cukes, etc. especially the heirlooms.

cattle+panels+tomatoes

Nice idea.

I had thought of the tee posts and welded wire, but the welded wire I
see is usually flimsy and I was thinking more posts to make up for that.

Not sure how far I'll have to go to get a cattle panel as I'm a city
slicker, but they look perfect. Lots of great ideas in your links,
thanks! Now, I'm thinking greenhouse!

Jeff

http://www.foundationfarm.com/tomatopanels.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...582022244.html