Old 16-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Freedom_Spark Freedom_Spark is offline
Registered User

Quote:

The clue is in the name - don't people know fairy stories any more ?

Fuchsia Magellanica will grow 2m tall and probably survive the winter at
that height (depending on where you live )
I've read every fairytale ever written! I just wasn't aware that those naming fuchsias were so literal! There is one called Winston Chrurchill for example and as far as I'm aware it won't grow into an inspirational wartime prime minister. I think my dad's is a magellanica & it is growing well & survives our quite chilly Northern Irish winters.

--
Quote:

So may Fuchsia ricartonii or F. 'Mrs. Popple'. Choose the latter if you
prefer larger flowers.

Spider
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

To many to list, Do a google image search for hardy fuchsias and see
what you like the look of, As a rule the more simple the flower the
more hardy the fuchsia.
I like Genii, yellow foliage good flower and hardy.
You dont say where you are in the UK.
David Hill
I'm in Northern Ireland, I love yellow foilage I'll do a search for Genii to see if it will thrive in my climate.

Quote:
There are hundreds of fuchsia's. I suggest you just read the label then
you'll know what you're buying
The problem is most labels provide very little information, probably to increase the chances of complete beginners like myself buying the wrong type of plant & having to come back for more.

Quote:
The secret is to take the tips on non-flowering branches, strip off all leaves save the top five or so, nip out the growing tip, dip the stem end into hormone powder, place these cuttings round the edge of a small post containing dampened vermiculite or a sand mixture, put into a plastic bag with the top closed, place the whole thing in a shady position. Keep an eye on them, nd open the bag if there is too much condensation.
Thanks, I missed out the hormone powder unfortunately! Is it possible they'll root anyway or should I try another few with the powder?