Old 15-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered User

Default Fuchsia 'Tom Thumb' question

Hello everyone. I recently attempted to take some softwood cuttings from my dad's fuchsia plant, being a complete beginner I'm not holding out a great deal of hope that they'll root. So, I spotted a fuchsia in a garden centre recently called 'tom thumb' I assumed it would grow to the same kind of size as my dad's which is curently about one metre across and one metre high, however, when I read the information which came with the plant, it said size: up to 30cm tall and 30cm across I did a quick internet search which described this as a dwarf variety. I had planted it right outside the living room window expecting it to spread, if this isn't going to be the case are there any fuchsias which become very large & which spread quite quickly? Thanks.
Old 15-07-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Freedom_Spark wrote:
Hello everyone. I recently attempted to take some softwood cuttings from
my dad's fuchsia plant, being a complete beginner I'm not holding out a
great deal of hope that they'll root. So, I spotted a fuchsia in a
garden centre recently called 'tom thumb' I assumed it would grow to
the same kind of size as my dad's which is curently about one metre
across and one metre high, however, when I read the information which
came with the plant, it said size: up to 30cm tall and 30cm across I
did a quick internet search which described this as a dwarf variety.

The clue is in the name - don't people know fairy stories any more ?

had planted it right outside the living room window expecting it to
spread, if this isn't going to be the case are there any fuchsias which
become very large & which spread quite quickly? Thanks.

Fuchsia Magellanica will grow 2m tall and probably survive the winter at
that height (depending on where you live )

http://www.plant-identification.co.u...agellanica.htm

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 15-07-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
Freedom_Spark wrote:
[...]

So may Fuchsia ricartonii or F. 'Mrs. Popple'. Choose the latter if you
prefer larger flowers.

Spider

Old 15-07-2009, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 July, 22:20, "Spider" wrote:
"Paul Luton" wrote in message

. uk...

http://www.plant-identification.co.u...uchsia-magella...

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

So may Fuchsia ricartonii or F. 'Mrs. Popple'. *Choose the latter if you
prefer larger flowers.

Spider- Hide quoted text -

To many to list, Do a google image search for hardy fuchsias and see
what you like the look of, As a rule the more simple the flower the
more hardy the fuchsia.
I like Genii, yellow foliage good flower and hardy.
You dont say where you are in the UK.
David Hill
Old 15-07-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 15, 10:00*pm, Paul Luton wrote:

The clue is in the name - don't people know fairy stories any more ?

Fuchsia Magellanica ......

The clue is in the name, Paul - don't people read history any more?
This one goes off to South America every winter looking for a sea
passage through Tierra del Fuego!

Old 16-07-2009, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Freedom_Spark" wrote in message

| Hello everyone. I recently attempted to take some softwood cuttings from
| my dad's fuchsia plant, being a complete beginner I'm not holding out a
| great deal of hope that they'll root. So, I spotted a fuchsia in a
| garden centre recently called 'tom thumb' I assumed it would grow to
| the same kind of size as my dad's which is curently about one metre
| across and one metre high, however, when I read the information which
| came with the plant, it said size: up to 30cm tall and 30cm across I
| did a quick internet search which described this as a dwarf variety. I
| had planted it right outside the living room window expecting it to
| spread, if this isn't going to be the case are there any fuchsias which
| become very large & which spread quite quickly? Thanks.

There are hundreds of fuchsia's. I suggest you just read the label then
you'll know what you're buying

Old 16-07-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

To many to list, Do a google image search for hardy fuchsias and see
what you like the look of, As a rule the more simple the flower the
more hardy the fuchsia.
I like Genii, yellow foliage good flower and hardy.

I often admire large bush fuchsias but, having had mixed results
with smaller plants, have been doubtful about their likely
survival in a flower bed here in the East Midlands.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_Spark View Post
Hello everyone. I recently attempted to take some softwood cuttings from my dad's fuchsia plant, being a complete beginner I'm not holding out a great deal of hope that they'll root.
The secret is to take the tips on non-flowering branches, strip off all leaves save the top five or so, nip out the growing tip, dip the stem end into hormone powder, place these cuttings round the edge of a small post containing dampened vermiculite or a sand mixture, put into a plastic bag with the top closed, place the whole thing in a shady position. Keep an eye on them, nd open the bag if there is too much condensation.
Old 16-07-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

beccabunga writes

Freedom_Spark;856256 Wrote:
Hello everyone. I recently attempted to take some softwood cuttings

from
my dad's fuchsia plant, being a complete beginner I'm not holding out

great deal of hope that they'll root.

The secret is to take the tips on non-flowering branches, strip off all
leaves save the top five or so, nip out the growing tip, dip the stem
end into hormone powder,

You don't need hormone powder. They root remarkably easily.

place these cuttings round the edge of a small
post containing dampened vermiculite or a sand mixture, put into a
plastic bag with the top closed, place the whole thing in a shady
position. Keep an eye on them, nd open the bag if there is too much
condensation.

--
Kay
Old 16-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:

The clue is in the name - don't people know fairy stories any more ?

Fuchsia Magellanica will grow 2m tall and probably survive the winter at
that height (depending on where you live )
I've read every fairytale ever written! I just wasn't aware that those naming fuchsias were so literal! There is one called Winston Chrurchill for example and as far as I'm aware it won't grow into an inspirational wartime prime minister. I think my dad's is a magellanica & it is growing well & survives our quite chilly Northern Irish winters.

--
Quote:

So may Fuchsia ricartonii or F. 'Mrs. Popple'. Choose the latter if you
prefer larger flowers.

Spider
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

To many to list, Do a google image search for hardy fuchsias and see
what you like the look of, As a rule the more simple the flower the
more hardy the fuchsia.
I like Genii, yellow foliage good flower and hardy.
You dont say where you are in the UK.
David Hill
I'm in Northern Ireland, I love yellow foilage I'll do a search for Genii to see if it will thrive in my climate.

Quote:
There are hundreds of fuchsia's. I suggest you just read the label then
you'll know what you're buying
The problem is most labels provide very little information, probably to increase the chances of complete beginners like myself buying the wrong type of plant & having to come back for more.

Quote:
The secret is to take the tips on non-flowering branches, strip off all leaves save the top five or so, nip out the growing tip, dip the stem end into hormone powder, place these cuttings round the edge of a small post containing dampened vermiculite or a sand mixture, put into a plastic bag with the top closed, place the whole thing in a shady position. Keep an eye on them, nd open the bag if there is too much condensation.
Thanks, I missed out the hormone powder unfortunately! Is it possible they'll root anyway or should I try another few with the powder?

Old 16-07-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:00 pm, Paul Luton wrote:
The clue is in the name - don't people know fairy stories any more ?

Fuchsia Magellanica ......

The clue is in the name, Paul - don't people read history any more?
This one goes off to South America every winter looking for a sea
passage through Tierra del Fuego!

I thought it might be. If if grows around Tierra del Fuego it is likely
to be pretty hardy.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Pittosporum tennuifolium 'Tom Thumb PDB Gardening 4 04-08-2011 11:07 AM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-firecracker-throwback.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-Firecracker.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Tom Thumb tomato OhioGuy Gardening 2 24-03-2009 11:35 PM
GOOD LORD !!! TOMTOM OT OT OT Mary kate Ponds 13 27-07-2004 02:03 PM