Old 17-07-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bald eagle Bald eagle is offline

Default Layering roses

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
In message , Bald eagle
writes
I have some climbing roses that I'd like to propagate and the favourite
method seems to be layering. Everything I've read refers to layering
into
the ground but for reasons of convenience I'd prefer to layer the new
ones
into pots. Any ideas on how feasible this is and what compost to use?

JC

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.

Best method is to sink the pot into the ground and use a soil based
compost in it
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sounds about what I was thinking of. Soil based compost should be better I
think. Any added drainage needed - grit or similar