Old 17-07-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Layering roses

I have some climbing roses that I'd like to propagate and the favourite
method seems to be layering. Everything I've read refers to layering into
the ground but for reasons of convenience I'd prefer to layer the new ones
into pots. Any ideas on how feasible this is and what compost to use?

JC

Old 17-07-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bald eagle
writes
I have some climbing roses that I'd like to propagate and the favourite
method seems to be layering. Everything I've read refers to layering into
the ground but for reasons of convenience I'd prefer to layer the new ones
into pots. Any ideas on how feasible this is and what compost to use?

JC

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-07-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 July, 14:55, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Bald eagle
writesI have some climbing roses that I'd like to propagate and the favourite
method seems to be layering. Everything I've read refers to layering into
the ground but for reasons of convenience I'd prefer to layer the new ones
into pots. Any ideas on how feasible this is and what compost to use?

JC

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

You should have no problems with cuttings taken in the autumn, about 9
inches long and remove thorns and the bottom bud, You could root them
directly into pots.
Thinking of layering, What about making a hole top and bottom of a pop
bottle sliting the plastic between and filling with compost and
putting the stem into it , tape it and leave till the roots show
against the pastic.
Just a thought
David Hill
Old 17-07-2009, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Bald eagle
writes
I have some climbing roses that I'd like to propagate and the favourite
method seems to be layering. Everything I've read refers to layering into
the ground but for reasons of convenience I'd prefer to layer the new ones
into pots. Any ideas on how feasible this is and what compost to use?

JC

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.

Best method is to sink the pot into the ground and use a soil based
compost in it
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 17-07-2009, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dave Hill writes
wrote:

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.
--

You should have no problems with cuttings taken in the autumn, about 9
inches long and remove thorns and the bottom bud, You could root them
directly into pots.
Thinking of layering, What about making a hole top and bottom of a pop
bottle sliting the plastic between and filling with compost and
putting the stem into it , tape it and leave till the roots show
against the pastic.

Funnily enough, I was just musing on Stewart's post and wondering where
air-layering begins and layering-into-a-pot ends - I think you've just
answered that! ;-)
--
Kay

Old 17-07-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
[...]

Sounds about what I was thinking of. Soil based compost should be better I
think. Any added drainage needed - grit or similar

Old 17-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill writes
wrote:

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.
--

You should have no problems with cuttings taken in the autumn, about 9
inches long and remove thorns and the bottom bud, You could root them
directly into pots.
Thinking of layering, What about making a hole top and bottom of a pop
bottle sliting the plastic between and filling with compost and
putting the stem into it , tape it and leave till the roots show
against the pastic.

Funnily enough, I was just musing on Stewart's post and wondering where
air-layering begins and layering-into-a-pot ends - I think you've just
answered that! ;-)
--
Kay

Me too! Think I'll try both this and a pot sunk in the ground like Charlie
says.

JC

Old 17-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Dave Hill writes
wrote:

I Can't see any particular problem with layering into pots, other than
needed to keep the pots moist. But you might like to look into
air-layering.
--

You should have no problems with cuttings taken in the autumn, about 9
inches long and remove thorns and the bottom bud, You could root them
directly into pots.
Thinking of layering, What about making a hole top and bottom of a pop
bottle sliting the plastic between and filling with compost and
putting the stem into it , tape it and leave till the roots show
against the pastic.

Funnily enough, I was just musing on Stewart's post and wondering where
air-layering begins and layering-into-a-pot ends - I think you've just
answered that! ;-)

Other features of air-layering, if I recall correctly

1) making a cut in (removing a slice of) the stem.
2) using taped clear polythene to keep in the moisture.
3) using moss, rather than compost.

The extra weight make cause problems with Dave's proposal.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-07-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Other features of air-layering, if I recall correctly

1) making a cut in (removing a slice of) the stem.

Or abrading the bark on the underside of the stem.

2) using taped clear polythene to keep in the moisture.

Cling film works well. And I think Dave's drinks bottle would work
equally well.

3) using moss, rather than compost.

The extra weight make cause problems with Dave's proposal.

I agree. I've used coir-based compost, which is a lot lighter than a
soil based one.

--
Kay
Old 17-07-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 July, 18:09, K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Other features of air-layering, if I recall correctly

1) making a cut in (removing a slice of) the stem.

Or abrading the bark on the underside of the stem.

2) using taped clear polythene to keep in the moisture.

Cling film works well. And I think Dave's drinks bottle would work
equally well.

3) using moss, rather than compost.

The extra weight make cause problems with Dave's proposal.

I agree. I've used coir-based compost, which is a lot lighter than a
soil based one.

--
Kay

I was thinking the weight would help and the bottle could just lie on
the ground, but if you wanted to use it for air layering then a
smaller bottle with a pearlite mix compost and the bottle could be
tied to a cane to take the weight, also if the compost was seen to be
geting to dry then some water could be added by removing the cap and
pouring a little in.
David hill