Old 17-07-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Layering roses

On 17 July, 18:09, K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Other features of air-layering, if I recall correctly

1) making a cut in (removing a slice of) the stem.

Or abrading the bark on the underside of the stem.

2) using taped clear polythene to keep in the moisture.

Cling film works well. And I think Dave's drinks bottle would work
equally well.

3) using moss, rather than compost.

The extra weight make cause problems with Dave's proposal.

I agree. I've used coir-based compost, which is a lot lighter than a
soil based one.

--
Kay

I was thinking the weight would help and the bottle could just lie on
the ground, but if you wanted to use it for air layering then a
smaller bottle with a pearlite mix compost and the bottle could be
tied to a cane to take the weight, also if the compost was seen to be
geting to dry then some water could be added by removing the cap and
pouring a little in.
David hill