Old 19-07-2009, 02:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough Janet Baraclough is offline

Default Culinary herbs - what do you grow?

The message

from EastneyEnder contains these words:

For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow

Ah. I saw that at a farmers market; but didn't know what to do with
it and neither did the seller so I didn't buy one

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

I grow chives and garlic chives, egyptian onions, several mints, sages
(3) and thyme, lovage, fennel, marjoram (2 sorts) lemon balm (2)
rosemary, parsley ; and bay, all of which I use in cooking,

Tansy and borage because I like the look of it; comfrey to activate
the compost heap. Rosemary also makes a very good hair rinse, and a
steam inhalant for colds.

Janet.