Old 19-07-2009, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Culinary herbs - what do you grow?

For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow.

Clearly of the Bistort family... aka Persicaria.

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?
Old 19-07-2009, 02:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from EastneyEnder contains these words:

For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow

Ah. I saw that at a farmers market; but didn't know what to do with
it and neither did the seller so I didn't buy one

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

I grow chives and garlic chives, egyptian onions, several mints, sages
(3) and thyme, lovage, fennel, marjoram (2 sorts) lemon balm (2)
rosemary, parsley ; and bay, all of which I use in cooking,

Tansy and borage because I like the look of it; comfrey to activate
the compost heap. Rosemary also makes a very good hair rinse, and a
steam inhalant for colds.

Janet.
Old 19-07-2009, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message
For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow.

Clearly of the Bistort family... aka Persicaria.

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

My mint didn't do well either this year. I wonder why?

Anyway, back to the question We love mint, basil and rosemary. We don't
like coriander nor parsley.

Old 19-07-2009, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
EastneyEnder wrote:

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

Not quite the same as what I grow :-)

Essentials include bay, parsley, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, sage,
chives, summer savory, dill and rocket at least. I also grow basil,
wild marjoram, winter savory, lovage (now dying, for some reason),
angelica, fennel, coriander, borage and probably others.

Oh, and MANY chillis - essential.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-07-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
[...]

My mint is just fine, though perhaps less of the usual
bully that it normally is.

Anyway, back to the question We love mint, basil and rosemary. We don't
like coriander nor parsley.

Blimey, there are people who do not like coriander or parsley ????

My list: thyme, oregano, flat-leafed parsley, curly-leafed parsley,
coriander, coriander, coriander, lemon-variegated thyme, rosemary,
chives, coriander.

A propos coriander: one year I decided to see if it would grow
from seed scattered on my gravel driveway. It did (see above ;-)
and still does (NW Essex/Cambs border).

Old 19-07-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
EastneyEnder writes
For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow.

Clearly of the Bistort family... aka Persicaria.

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

Mint - love it
Parsley - ditto
Sage - ditto
Basil - ditto plus the smell
Coriander -ditto

Need I go on?
--
June Hughes
Old 19-07-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , R.A.Omond
writes

My mint is just fine, though perhaps less of the usual
bully that it normally is.

I have noticed that this year too. I wonder why?

Anyway, back to the question We love mint, basil and rosemary. We
don't like coriander nor parsley.

Blimey, there are people who do not like coriander or parsley ????

Takes all sorts. After the rather snobby foodie thing about flat leafed
parsley, I have returned to using the curly-leafed variety. Looks good,
tastes good and by gosh it does you good

My list: thyme, oregano, flat-leafed parsley, curly-leafed parsley,
coriander, coriander, coriander, lemon-variegated thyme, rosemary,
chives, coriander.

A propos coriander: one year I decided to see if it would grow
from seed scattered on my gravel driveway. It did (see above ;-)
and still does (NW Essex/Cambs border).

It goes to seed very easily but then, as you say, you can plant the
seeds. We love it and I can't imagine a life without parsley.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-07-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:21:44 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

My mint didn't do well either this year. I wonder why?

Last year I had 4 pots of mint in my garden, and some apple mint in
the ground on the allotment.
The latter is OK but the 4 pots did not sprout this year. I assume it
was the cold winter. I miss not having mint in the garden. You have
prompted me to get some more.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-07-2009, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

Essentials include bay, parsley, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, sage,
chives, summer savory, dill and rocket at least. I also grow basil,
wild marjoram, winter savory, lovage (now dying, for some reason),
angelica, fennel, coriander, borage and probably others.

I love herbs and grown all those plus several additional varieties of
sage and basil.

I forgot horseradish and two kinds of mint in the essential section!
Plus woodruff in the inessential :-)

The thing about most herbs is that they don't need mollycoddling,
so they don't die when I ignore them. Usually ....

Oh, and MANY chillis - essential.

I've only just started growing chillis. None have appeared yet though.

Mine have a few flowers. They typically don't fruit until later,
as they need a lot of sun and heat - and do better in a greenhouse,
conservatory or polytunnel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-07-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My mint didn't do well either this year. I wonder why?

Last year I had 4 pots of mint in my garden, and some apple mint in
the ground on the allotment.
The latter is OK but the 4 pots did not sprout this year. I assume it
was the cold winter. I miss not having mint in the garden. You have
prompted me to get some more.

I am not around my garden atm, so I have a pot with a root transplanted. It
has been a dismal failure

If it is a widespread phonomenon, I shall try it again when I can

Old 19-07-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message
For the last few years one of my standbys is 'Vietnamese Coriander'
aka Polygonum odoratum. It gives a coriander-like flavour to any asian
dishes that require coriander but is more economical and easier to
grow.

But it'd be even easier just to add a few soap-flakes to the dish{;-)

Clearly of the Bistort family... aka Persicaria.

My next door neighbour is Thai and when I gave her a plant she was
very pleased, thought it wasn't available here. She too uses it as a
coriander substitute.

I also have lovage, sweet cicely, horseradish (which took me half an
hour to dig up a root from the local common where it grows wild -
wonder why I bothered!); mint (crap this year), lemon verbena, lemon
melissa, winter savory and buckler leaved sorrel. All in containers.
Oh, and Thai Basil.

What herbs couldn't you do without and why?

Tarragon, rosemary and bay. With the short growing season and harsh winter
here, I grow the latter 2 in pots in the bay window in the kitchen. I've
given up on parsley, thyme, basil and marjoram/oregano indoors as, no matter
what I do, aphids appear on them in the middle of winter! I tried
overwintering a tarragon plant indoors but it didn't do well.
Graham