Old 19-07-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Grass-like plant in Italy

On 2009-07-19 14:24:14 +0100, Timothy Murphy said:

wrote:

What I would do is to lay a patio (NOT on concrete), leaving some
small beds in which I would plant thyme and similar plants. That
would be a traditional Mediterranean approach.

That is indeed exactly my intention.
The "lawn" would not be walked on,
but will hopefully provide a green foreground for plants
on the garden walls.

It would look very pretty with that paving and planting between design.
My Italian mother outlaw was from Piemonte (rather different!) but one
section of her garden in Jersey, outside the swimming pool, was planted
just like with a pergola that had vines clambering over it. It was a
lovely relaxing place to be and the low growing herbs and sprawling
vines all helped to give a cool feel.

Actually I don't think this area (near Arezzo) gets anywhere near as hot
as Naples and/or Sicily.
The hilly surrounds are remarkably green.

The hills may be pine when you get up close but in any case, trees can
get their roots much further down than grass. Arezzo goes to about 30C
in summer.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com